World News Briefs

Protesters in London Topple Statue
On Thursday, protesters in London erected and toppled a 17-foot effigy of President Bush, in an obvious reference to the now-famous image of American troops pulling down Saddam Hussein’s statue in Baghdad. Protesters expressed their disdain for the way Britain seemed to blindly follow the US into Iraq, waving signs labeling British Prime Minister Tony Blair as Bush’s “poodle.” This demonstration was staged to coincide with the meeting between the two leaders in London, during which they publicly promised to maintain their hard line against terrorism. When asked for an opinion on the protest, Bush remarked on the beauty of freedom and how the protesters were exercising a right the people of Iraq had not had until recently.Air Travel between India and Pakistan
On Jan. 1, 2004, airlines will once again offer service between India and Pakistan. The announcement came Monday, after talks between aviation and defense ministry officials in New Delhi. For nearly two years, planes flying from India to Europe have been forced to travel two hours out of their way to avoid forbidden Pakistani airspace; similarly, flights from Pakistan must detour through Nepal and China. The ban began in Jan. 2002 after a terrorist attack against the Indian Parliament, alleged to be work of Pakistan’s spy organization. Pakistan denied the charge.

New Trial for Sniper
Convicted DC sniper John Allen Muhammad may receive a new trial. Though a jury in Virginia has already convicted Muhammad and sentenced him to death, prosecutors in Louisiana and Maryland have requested the opportunity to try him again. They claim additional trials will provide “insurance,” lest one court’s ruling be overturned, as well as closure for the victim’s families. Opponents cite the high financial cost; it cost taxpayers approximately $900,000 dollars to defend Muhammad and his accomplice Lee Boyd Malvo, to say nothing of the cost to prosecute them. Additionally, a new trial may prove grueling for those called to testify again, both witnesses and experts.

Japanese diplomats killed
Two Japanese diplomats were killed in an ambush near Tikrit, Iraq. The Japanese government both mourned their loss and reaffirmed their commitment to Iraq. Japanese Prime Minister Junichiro Koizumi announced that “Japan has a responsibility to provide humanitarian and reconstruction aid in Iraq,” at a press conference, adding that there will “be no change” to their anti-terrorism policy. The diplomats, Katsuhiko Oku and Masamori Inoue, were on their way to an aid conference when their vehicle was attacked.