Ping-Pong anyone?

Guilford sends 4 delegates to the SE Regionals in Tennessee (www.corbis.com)

Alice Simpkins
Staff Writer

Fifteen standing members, a president, and a boat-load of fun. Who would have thought that Guilford would organize a ping pong team? Guilford is glad they did because there is a lot of interest. Junior Luke Trelour, who is the president of the team, organized and established an intercollegiate squad team this year. At Guilford, ping-pong brings “entertainment value for people interested in ping pong,” said Trelour.
The team plays once a week on Thursdays in Dana Recreation room in Founders Hall at 6:30 and anyone is welcome to come out. The “athletes” are out there to have a good time. “The vast majority of the players are not interested in serious competitive play,” said Trelour. “They just want to bounce a little ball around.”
Although the spirit of the game is not competitive, the team will send four delegates to the South East Region Competition in Nashville, Tennessee, after having an on-campus competition for the top four spots. The four Guilford team members that will be sent are the top female, top male and top doubles team. In mid January, after winter break and classes have begun to gear up, they will begin to have their intersquad competition for the four hot seats in the S.E. Region Competition. Two of the top players are first-year Andrew Martinez and sophomore Owen Morrison. Both have shown serious skills and understanding of the game.
Trelour is expecting much improvement of skills this year. He wants to see the players get practice and concentrate on their game. This is just the beginning and he has a lot of hopes for the team. Come out and play.

Guilford Scores
Kurt Cavanaugh
Sports Editor

Men’s Basketball (1-1, 0-0 ODAC)
Beat Catholic 98-96 (OT) Nov. 21
Points: C. Martin 8, D. Clyburn 16, J. Connor 13, J. Clarke 19, T. Swindell 17, R. Spence 3, G. Lawhorn 5, E. Williams 2, R. Bradford 3, J. Parker 12.
Rebounds: C. Martin 1, D. Clyburn 4, J. Connor 6, J. Clarke 6, T. Swindell 6, R. Spence 1, G. Lawhorn 4, E. Williams 2.
Lost to Franklin & Marshall 90-54 Nov. 22
Points: D. Clyburn 5, G. Lawhorn 6, J. Connor 6, J. Clarke 13, T. Swindell 5, J. Taylor 4, J. Roper 3, E. Williams 7, R. Bradford 3, R. Poteat 2.
Rebounds: D. Clyburn 4, G. Lawhorn 2, J. Connor 4, J. Clarke 5, T. Swindell 2, J. Taylor 1, R. Spence 1, E. Williams 4, J. Parker 1.
Women’s Basketball (1-2, 0-0 ODAC)
Lost to Ohio Wesleyan 65-60 Nov. 21
Points: A.J Robertson 6, J. King 11, C. Hill 15, N. McCrory 5, J. Hardenbergh 9, J. Keichline 7, K. Burger 7.
Rebounds: A.J. Robertson 3, J, King 1, D. Burke 6, C. Hill 8, N. McCrory 3, J. Keichline 8, K. Burger 1.
Beat Elizabethtown 70-63 Nov. 22
Points: A.J. Robertson 17, J. Hardenbergh 6, J, King 7, C. Hill 11, N. McCrory 11, L. Johnson 2, J. Keichline 4, D. Burke 7, K. Burger 5.
Rebounds: A.J Robertson 2, J. Hardenbergh 2, J. King 1, C. Hill 5, N. McCrory 13, L. Johnson 4, J. Keichline 2, D. Burke 2.
Lost to King’s College 72-57 Nov. 23
Points: A.J. Robertson 14, J. King 11, C. Hill 3, L. Johnson 5, J. Keichline 8, D. Burke 6, K. Burger 2, D. Graham 8.
Rebounds: A.J. Robertson 2, J. Hardenbergh 2, J. King 5, C. Hill 6, N. McCrory 2, L. Johnson 3, J. Keichline 4, D. Burke 3, K. Burger 3, D. Graham 2.