Living in London: Matt bids adieu

()
()

So it has all come down to this: the final hours are upon us, the darkness is setting in and all that is left are the memories of what was the trip of a lifetime. On Dec. 4, most of the students who were abroad this semester (including myself) will be flying back to their homes in the United States, trying to decompress so that we can return to Greensboro ready and able.
It is important to point out that I am not a city person by any stretch of the imagination, and some things about living in London drove me absolutely mad. Crowded buses and subway cars, the presence of noise throughout the night, and the overall lack of purchasing power one has when using the U.S. dollar could be bothersome to anyone.
These complaints are miniscule, however, when compared to what this experience has provided for myself and to all of the students who took part in this trip. I think a real testament to this is my constant amazement at the places I was able to experience during this semester, from the Eiffel Tower, Normandy Beach and the British House of Commons to Amsterdam’s Red Light District, the Louvre (home of the Mona Lisa) and Stonehenge – and those are just a few from a list of many that are too numerous to mention.
I need to recognize our professors for the semester – Jean Elliot, Martin Upham, Carol Mechin and John Mann – who helped all of us experience England to its fullest, whether it was arranging our internships or taking us to see art or to the theater. We all had a cracking good time.
I also want to give a lot of credit to our trip leaders, Elwood and Ellen Parker. Both of them have been there for us students whenever we needed them. They did everything they were supposed to do, and more. I never felt that I was going to be in trouble because I knew if I found myself in a bad situation, Elwood and Ellen would be only a phone-call away. I want to thank them for putting up with a bunch of college students who might have been a little annoying at times. We felt very lucky to have them leading us.
Last, but certainly not least, I need to thank all of my fellow students. All of you were absolutely wonderful, and made this experience what it was. I am really glad that not only was I able to connect with new people on this trip, I was able to become closer to many of my old friends. All of us have experienced things together that we are going to remember for the rest of our lives. I want to thank you for allowing me to experience London with all of you – and oh, the things we have done. Clubbing, pubs, The Comedy Store, numerous theater shows, footy matches, Halloween, travelling, zombie punch, Guy Fawkes Day, tube breakdowns, Friends House and everything else I have forgotten. From the very bottom of my heart, thank you all.
As I type these words I am overlooking the Thames river, wondering if I am ever going to see it again in person. I am sorry if this column reads like a big clich. If it sounds like I was just waxing poetic, it’s because I was. While I may never be a city mouse, I am glad I was able to see this city.Matt Geiger is a senior majoring in history.