Players carve way into community’s heart

Women´s basketball team display their creations. (Scotte Smith)

Wait – that’s no basketball!
They’re passing around orange, lined, round objects, but the Guilford women’s basketball team isn’t shooting hoops – they’re carving pumpkins.
“The pumpkin carving was really fun and a great way for all of us to get together at the beginning of the season and do something,” said sophomore guard Kristyn Casey.
First-year Dionne Graham said, “This was a good bonding experience for the team and a lot of us realized we can do stuff together besides play basketball.”
The ladies gathered on Oct. 27 to carve pumpkins for the Greensboro Manor Retirement Community and Guilford Home, two local nursing homes. Both the men’s and women’s teams also distributed candy to children visiting campus Halloween night.
The purpose of these activities, said women’s head coach Stephanie Flamini, was to increase the team’s involvement in community-service activities and make the ladies more visible to the immediate community.
“I think it is important for our team to participate in activities that are not just basketball related,” Flamini said. “I want our players to learn that forming relationships within our community is an essential component of any program.”
The carving and trick-or-treating provided a respite for the girls from preseason practice and class and a chance to get together and get to know one another a little better.
“It was just a fun experience. A lot of us had never done anything like it before,” said Graham.
Casey agreed, “Bringing the pumpkins to the nursing [home] was also a lot of fun and I hope we can continue to do activities like this throughout the season,” she said.
The Quakers’ first game is Nov. 21 in Arlington, VA. They’ll be playing Ohio Wesleyan in a three-day tournament hosted by Marymount College in pursuit of their third straight ODAC title. Their first home game is Dec. 5 against Randolph-Macon at 7 p.m.
Guilford Scores
Football (2-7, 1-4 ODAC)

Lost to Catholic 27-23 Nov. 7

Rushing: B. Caye 18-53, D. Emanuel 5-5, C. Gammon 1-0, M. Rushing 8-minus 3, J. Smith 6-minus 13.
Passing: J. Smith 4-17, 62 yards, M. Rushing 1-1, 21 yards.
Receiving: K. Kiser 3-61, N. Harvey 1-13, R. Wilson 1-9.

Volleyball (6-23, 3-8 ODAC)

Beat Methodist 3-0 Nov. 4

Kills: A.J. Robertson 18, J. Keichline 10, R. Rogers 5, K. Harvey 4, A. Green 3, C. Hey 2, B. Stubbs 1.
Assists: B. Stubbs 39, K. Harvey 1, R. Rogers 1.

Men’s Soccer (10-8-1, 4-5 ODAC)
ODAC Tournament Semifinals

Lost to Washington & Lee 2-2 (6-5 on Penalty Kicks) Nov. 7

Goals: T. Imafidon, B. Ralls
Saves: Z. Campbell 7.