Artist Jana performs at Guilford

Jana performs at Guilford (Whitney Mann/Guilfordian)

“Being an ‘Urban Indian’ is to walk in both worlds but not compromise her cultural identity,” Jana said, describing her style of music. Jana is a Native American recording artist who performed in Dana Auditorium on Nov. 4.
A powerful singer and dancer, Jana’s music is heavily drum-based with elements of pop and techno. Also a songwriter, Jana performed her own original pieces, including “Ooh Baby Baby,” “China Night,” and “One Spirit,” a tribute to Sept. 11.
She also performed a few covers including her version of Led Zeppelin’s “Stairway to Heaven” and Dolly Parton’s classic, “I Will Always Love You.” Performing alongside Jana for most songs were two talented dancers and her brother, Jake, on drums.
Sadly, only fifty people showed up to the show.
“I thought it was a great concert and more people should have showed up,” said senior Megan Barolet – Fogarty. “They missed out. Hawi did a great job.”
Sophomore Hawi Hall, in conjunction with the Native American Club, was responsible for bringing Jana to Guilford.
Hall saw Jana perform on the Onondaga reservation Hall is from. After the show, Hall got in touch with Jana’s managers. Jana performed at the Native Indian Education Conference the day before she performed at Guilford.
“To me, a pop star that is a fellow Native American is amazing,” Hall said. “It is just so rare that you find a beautiful Native woman who embraces her culture while spreading a good message at the same time.”
“I cannot ignore who I am and where I came from,” Jana said. It shows in her career.
Her organization, Jana’s Kids, aims to make children aware of their cultural pride and identity, motivation and ambition. Jana also serves as a motivational speaker to native children on such issues as education, alcohol, tobacco and drug awareness, and gang association.
“One of the things that I admire most about Jana is her dedication and commitment to Native kids and helping them to realize that Natives can become someone great,” Hall said.
A member of the Lumbee tribe, Jana’s cultural influence could be seen in her dance and heard in the instrumentation of her music. “The true soul of my music reflects all aspects of my cultures,” she said.
“Stairway to Heaven” earned Jana a top-40 spot on the Billboard charts and two Native American Music Awards (NAMMY). Jana will perform on Nov. 15 at the sixth annual NAMMY awards, where she is nominated for best female artist and best pop recording for “Found a Love.”
After the show Jana said, “Be patient. There’s no such thing as an overnight success. Work hard, believe in your music and believe in yourself.