Give blood – it feels good

Giving blood  is a great way to help those in need (Megan Miller/Guilfordian)
Giving blood is a great way to help those in need (Megan Miller/Guilfordian)

“Every two seconds someone in the United States needs blood. But only 5% of the eligible U.S. population donates blood in any given year,” said Samantha Stewart, American Red Cross representative. “Healthy donors are the only source of blood.”
Guilford College is having its annual Red Cross blood drive on Friday, Nov. 7 in the Gallery in Founders Hall, sponsored by Project Community. The drive will last from 10:30 a.m. until 3 p.m.
There will be two blood drives this year on campus: the one this fall and another in the spring.
Project Community coordinator, Wanda Williams assisted in bringing the Blood Drive coming to Guilford. She was able to work out the logistics as well as the coordination with the American Red Cross and the director of student involvement and leadership, Rebecca Saunders.
Williams said: “I really enjoy this because there is a blood shortage in North Carolina as well as in the general U.S. and the Guilford student body has been very willing to donate their blood as well as their time to volunteer.”
It takes approximately an hour to help someone with cancer, blood disorders, sickle-cell anemia, and other illnesses, according to the American Red Cross Association.
“Giving blood is a great way to help others. You don’t have to know them; you don’t even have to give up much of your time,” said sophomore Sarah Green, a 10-time blood donor.
“By putting your day on hold for one hour you can extend the lives of three people for years. You can’t imagine the impact such a gift has on those who receive it until it is you or someone you love who’s in need,” said Green.
Over 50 Guilford faculty, staff, and students have signed up already.
Dan Hayden, second-year and six-time blood donor, (two-time blood donor at Guilford) said: “Giving blood for the first time is very rewarding as well as very easy to do. The nurses and technicians walk you through the whole process and are very nice.”
Natalie Sept feels the same way. “At first it is a little disorienting because you’re watching the blood leave your body and fill a bag,” said the third-time blood donor and sophomore, “but I’ve never had a bad experience, due to the support and assurance of the volunteers.