Abandoned animals

We all have heard the horror stories of pet dumping. Literally the “dumping out” of unwanted pets, in the middle of no-where, to fend for themselves. Apparently in the progressive year of 2003, it still happens with incredible frequency. This past week-end while driving through no-where in rural Rockingham County, I stumbled upon four abandoned puppies. I could not conceive a person leaving these small creatures without food, water, or warmth.
I drove to nearby homes in search of owners (nearby being 2 miles in any direction), to no avail. They were abandoned. Financially, I realize spaying/neutering pets is expensive, especially in today’s economy. But shelters are always available. I have known veterinarians in the past, which supported free/reduced programs to help change the pet population status. They felt they were giving to the community as a whole, by offering their services at least monthly. All my pets are spayed or neutered. With the exception of these new four beatiful creatures tearing up our household. We can’t keep them all, so suitable homes will have to be found. Make sure your animal friends are taken care of. Spay or neuter your pet. Talk to your veterinarian about a program like the one I described. The reckless “throwing away” of little lives should be a distant memory of a previous atrocity that humans committed. Not one that is fresh and easy found, just by a beautiful fall drive in the country.