War continues in Iraq

Fire errupts after a recent bombing in Bagdad (www.cnn.com)

United States and British troops continue to occupy a war-torn Iraq but violence toward them has still not subsided.
A British soldier was killed last Wed., Aug. 27, near the village of Al – Asaharqi, after a mob returned British fire to disperse them.
This is the seventeenth death of a British soldier since combat was declared over on May 1, as declared by President Bush.
Violence in the region is not restricted to British soldiers. Also on Aug. 27, two U.S. troops were killed in Baghdad and Fallujah, bringing the U.S. death toll to 143.
Bulgaria is also involved with the Iraqi conflict, with 500 of the nation’s troops currently in service.
On Friday, Aug. 29, a Bulgarian base near Karbala came under attack when a grenade was launched into the base. There were no casualties.
On August 19, however, 14 people were killed when terrorists blew up the United Nations offices in Baghdad. Secretary General Kofi Annan condemned the acts of the terrorists.
“Nothing can excuse this act of unprovoked and murderous violence against men and women who went to Iraq for one purpose only: to help the Iraqi people recover their independence and sovereignty, and to rebuild their country as fast as possible, under leaders of their own choosing,” Annan said.
Among those killed in the attack were American Rick Hooper, Philippines’ natives Ranillo Buenaventura and Marilyn Manuel, Egyptian Jean-Selim Kanaan, Fiona Watson of Great Britain, and Brazilian Sergio Viera de Mello.
In other news, President Bush said he wants to sponsor a U.N. coalition of troops under United States command. Details about the coalition are still up in the air.
“There are several ideas that are being looked at … or explored, I guess, is a better term,” said U.S. Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage. “One is a multinational force under U.N. leadership, but the Americans would be under the U.N. commander.