Seniors sound their assertive Y.A.L.P. over the roofs of Guilford

Randy Doss with Y.A.L.P. members. ()
Randy Doss with Y.A.L.P. members. ()

In many parts of the world, “Yalp,” is the sound emitted by a small dog being kicked. At Guilford, Y.A.L.P. is the sound of small dogs kicking.
Designed to educate a randomly selected group of seniors about the realities of running a collegiate institution, the Young Alumni Leadership Planning program will also give those 18 seniors an opportunity to critique and possibly improve Guilford College.
“Think of it as a year-long exit interview,” said Jonna Yarbrough, Assistant Director of Alumni Relations.
The directors hope that if seniors have a clear understanding of the resources needed to run the college, and a say in how those resources should be distributed, they will be more inclined to give financially as Alumni.
financially as alumni.
“[Participants] will not go away with myths but with facts, and that’s what I believe is the core of this program,” said Jerry Harrelson, Director of Alumni Relations.
Of the 15,000 Guilford College alumni roaming the globe today, only 27 percent donate financially to the school. “In recent classes, it’s rather dismal,” said Harrelson. “It’s more like one percent.”
“Of course, that’s true at any college,” said Randy Doss, Vice President for Enrollment and Campus Life. “The younger the alumni, the less likely they are to give.”
But that is what Y.A.L.P. is designed to change.
The program originated at Bowdoin College in 1998. President Chabotar thought it might do well at Guilford after the uncommonly large attendance at last year’s end-of-the term Town Meeting. At that meeting, graduating seniors voiced their opinions and concerns about the future direction of the college.
Y.A.L.P. members are scheduled to meet 20 times throughout the year. Each meeting will have a different guest speaker. The speakers will range from Adrienne Israel, the Vice President for Academic Affairs, to Irene Harrington from the Career Development, Internship and Community Learning Center.
“We hope to touch on virtually every part of the institution,” said Doss.
After each presentation the seniors will speak with the guests about what kinds of things they would like to see the college do differently. “You only make change through planning and money,” said Doss, “and our job is to develop a shopping list.”
Some of the participating seniors are optimistic about Y.A.L.P.’s potential.
“I think there is a gap between the students and the administration and we have a good opportunity to answer all the questions other students might have about what really happens here,” said Ampofo Darko.
Others are more skeptical.
“We can contribute limitless amounts,” said Katie Holmes, “but how much will we be heard?”
Though Chabotar was absent from the first meeting, Harrelson guaranteed Y.A.L.P. members that he is very excited about the program. “I can assure you,” said Harrelson, “[they] will have Kent Chabotar’s ear.