Five Basketball Players Net All-ODAC Honors

The ballots are in.
Guilford College’s men’s basketball team junior forward Jevon Clarke attained second team All-ODAC conference honors, while sophomore point guard Clarence Martin received an honorable mention.
Clarke, a 6’4” junior from Apex, North Carolina, led the Quakers in points, defensive rebounds, free throws made, and minutes. He was second on the team with nearly one block per game.
“I really enjoyed playing this season. I improved in all statistical categories,” Clarke said.
The second player to receive recognition was point guard Clarence Martin, a sophomore from Reidsville, North Carolina. Martin played one of his better seasons for Guilford. He led the Quakers in three-pointers made, assists, and steals.
“I would say this was my best season at college, but I could have done better,” team captain Clarence Martin said.
When asked about next season’s goals, Martin said, “I hope to be a dominant scorer.”
The men’s season ended at the hands of Roanoke in the ODAC Quarterfinals.
The guys are optimistic about next season. “I think, no, we will go all the way next season,” said Martin.
For the women’s basketball team, three were placed on the All-ODAC squad.
Guilford’s junior forward A.J. Robertson and forward Courtney Hill were awarded second-team honors, while first-year guard Jennifer King received honorable mention.
Robertson, a junior standout, led the team in points per game (13.1) and was second in three-pointers made. “I would say this was my best season by far,” she said. “I played with a higher level of confidence. I guess all that hard work over the summer paid off.”
Robertson is also one of six recipients of the 2003 Nereus C. English award. This award is given to students who excel in both academics and athletics.
Hill, who came back to Guilford College after attending UNCG for the first semester, also received second- team all-ODAC merits. Many Guilford students say that she should have been a first-team pick.
“I think Hill played a superb season. She should have been a first team [pick] for sure,” said junior Devon Clyburn, a member of the men’s team. She was second (tied) on the team in points (12.8) and first in rebounds per game (6.5), even though she only played 20 of 27 games.
Hill can now add this award to the Freshman of the Year plaque she received last year.
And to round out the ballots, first-year Jennifer King received honorable mention. “I was disappointed [not to have placed higher], but I am not worried about it,” King said.
King was instrumental in the Quakers’ 20-7 (16-4) record. She led the team in assists, steals, minutes and was second (tied) on the team in points (12.8).
“I think she should have been a much higher pick. Hell, she should have been freshman of the year,” Clyburn said.
Though the girls teams’ hopes of a third straight ODAC tournament title fell short against Randolph Macon, they retain high hopes for next season. Returning all of their starters next year, they’ll quest for a third overall ODAC title.