Union Sponsors Mardi Gras Ball Tonight

Sequins! Beads! Masks! Live Zydeco Band! New Orleans in Greensboro?
Student Union’s Mardi Gras Costume Ball is this Saturday, March 1, from 8 p.m. – 1 a.m. The completely free, semiformal event will be held at George K’s, an elegant banquet facility in Greensboro.
George K’s is a high-caliber host to a variety of corporate and personal gatherings, including wedding receptions and large conferences. In order to get to George K’s, Mardi Gras attendees are required to use mandatory, college-provided transportation to and from the event.
Frequent shuttle service begins at 7:30 p.m. and makes a final trip back to Guilford at 1:00 a.m. The shuttle picks up and drops off at Founders Hall by the First Union ATM. Make sure to shuttle over by 8 p.m. for dinner.
An array of salads, grilled vegetables, and spanokopita will cater to the vegan appetite, while chicken scampi and rigatoni al vodka will satisfy the carnivores in the crowd. Dinner is to be served until 9 p.m. A cash bar will also be available to students of legal drinking age.
In tough competition with the gourmet food, the music may make the night. A live Zydeco band, “The Funky Blues Messiahs,” will provide hours of lively music for you to dine by or dance to.
Indie Monkey, an online independent music review website, calls the Messiahs “a raucous tale of drink, sex and religion that borrowed liberally from blues, jazz, gospel and anything else it could lay its hands on.”
Dinner and dancing are just two items on the evening’s menu. Fluorescent flyers plastered all over campus promise “beads!” and “masks!”
If you can’t wait to get yours, stop by Ritz Costume Shop at 1831 Spring Garden Street for a 10 percent discount on masks (with college ID). For a less expensive and more creative option, head to Founders today, Friday, Feb. 28. Students can choose a simple mask and decorate it with sequins, feathers, and other materials, all provided by Student Union.
Not sure what to wear? “Come in costume! Come as spider man if you want!” said Laura Myerchin, Student union member and cochair of the Mardi Gras committee. Myerchin looks forward to a night filled with “fabulous food,” dancing, and beautiful beads and masks. Students can look forward to a rare opportunity – gourmet food, music, and dancing.
The tables will be set for 200. If there are any remaining tickets, the Info Desk in Founders will sell them until the event.