Four Inducted into Guilford Athletics Hall of Fame

Elton Gross ’78. Lisa Miller ’86. Amy Parrish ’84. Lee Porter ’89. Welcome to the 32nd class inducted into Guilford College’s Athletics Hall of Fame.
Honored at halftime during the Men’s basketball game against Virginia Wesleyan on Sat., Feb. 1, the inductees were introduced to polite applause at Ragan-Brown Field House. The four new members raise the Guilford Hall-of-Famers total to 181.
Lisa Miller lettered for both the Women’s basketball and tennis teams each of the four years she attended Guilford. As a tennis player, she received NAIA Academic All-America and ITCA Scholar-Athlete merits in 1985 and ‘86. With a career fifth singles record of 93-14, Miller was honored as an All-Carolinas Conference player every year at Guilford while earning two All-NAIA District 26 awards. She graduated with honors in Sports Management and received the Best Senior Athlete Award.
Elton Gross twice won All-Carolinas Conference honors and scored 1,326 in four seasons for Men’s basketball. He went on to play professional basketball in Finland from 1979-83. Later he signed a free-agent contract with the Seattle Seahawks, despite never having played football at Guilford.
Amy Parrish left Guilford after graduating with honors in psychology and gaining 12 varsity letters in volleyball, basketball, and softball. She won the Best Senior Athlete Award. Making her mark as a volleyball player, she was captain while being rewarded for her play with All-District 26 and All-Carolinas Conference honors as a junior and senior. She also played on two different Carolinas Conference Championship teams.
Lee Porter won NAIA performance All-American and Academic All-American merits as a golfer two times apiece. Since graduating, he has played professional golf in some capacity for 14 years. Six of those years were spent on the Professional Golfers’ Association (PGA) Tour, and he placed 32nd in both the 1998 and 2001 U.S. Open.