Doctor King’s Dream Lives on at Guilford

One of the activities I attended during MLK weekend was the “Vision of Peace, Candlelight Vigil” held in Dana auditorium. The evening started out with singing from the Guilford College Gospel choir, Genesis Baptist Church, Youth Choir, and a local female group called Integrity. The keynote speaker, Monica Walker, spoke about King’s dream and how to live for tomorrow. Her speech was enlightening as well as motivational.
As an African American male, I felt MLK weekend was fantastic. The weekend was full of fun and insightful activities. There were guest speakers and special worship for remembering Martin Luther King Jr. and what he did for the black community.
Though many blacks might want to single out this holiday as a date in which we celebrate civil rights, the dream that King had was not to single out, but to integrate. He envisioned a world where one would be judged by the content of his character, not the color of skin.
MLK weekend at Guilford College really represented that atmosphere. Students of all colors and races were mingling with one another in a peaceful environment. I would like to acknowledge the Guilford College community and the African American Cultural Society for making MLK weekend a time of remembrance, spirit, and motivation to make dreams a reality.
Martin Luther King, Jr. symbolizes a great hope for me – a hope that gives me courage when I think things are too difficult. I say this not just because it’s the month of January, but because I live that way.
I feel Dr. King has done more than his share to unite, give hope, and assimilate the black community, and for that I am forever grateful. For his struggle, I too can have a dream, a dream of success.
Though the MLK celebration ended on Thursday, Jan. 23, King’s legacy will continue to triumph, not just among the black community but throughout the world.