Kurt and Jeff’s Pigskin Picks: NFL Picks

Games of the Week

Philadelphia Eagles at San Francisco 49ers (Monday, 9pm, ABC) – This game had all the trappings of a big game, and now it gets even bigger. With franchise QB Donovan McNabb sidelined with a broken right fibula, the Eagles suddenly are an average team. Now, the Eagles turn the reins over to career backup Koy Detmer. The Niners must pressure Detmer and force mistakes. RB Duce Staley has rushed for 100 yards 3 times this season, and he becomes the new most important player for Philly’s fortunes. Philadelphia’s defense always shows up in big games. If Detmer doesn’t turn the ball over, the Eagles can come out with a win. Prediction: Eagles 13, Niners 10.

Green Bay Packers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers (Sunday, 1pm, FOX) – I cannot wait until graduation, when I will no longer be subject to regional coverage featuring the Carolina Panthers. Dolley’s has NFL Sunday Ticket and 25 cent wings, and since this game pits the best two teams in football, I’ll be there watching it. Green Bay threw out their clunker last week. QB Brett Favre’s struggles in the Metrodome continue, and he’ll be looking for revenge against former division rival Tampa Bay. The Bucs are going to be on the wrong end of an upset Packer team. Prediction: Packers 27, Bucs 23.

San Diego Chargers at Miami Dolphins (Sunday, 1pm, CBS) – San Diego caught a lucky break last week, when Niners kicker Jose Cortez missed a 41-yard field goal by approximately five miles in overtime. That win may be the shot in the arm the Chargers need to rebound and surge to the playoffs. They must get through Miami, though, which is a good team at home, while the Chargers struggle on the road. Prediction: Dolphins 17, Chargers 10.

Power Poll
The Cream of the Crop

1. Green Bay Packers (8-2, 1) – Even with the loss in Minnesota, Green Bay is the best team in football. A win at Tampa Bay solidifies this.

2. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (8-2, 3) – Tampa showed me little last week in a ho-hum 23-10 win over Carolina.

3. Denver Broncos (7-3, NR) – QB Brian Griese is out, but his backup, Steve Beuerlein, almost was named the starter earlier this year. Denver should be fine with him at the reins.

4. San Diego Chargers (7-3, NR) – A big win at home helps shake last year’s ghosts, and solidifies this team as a playoff contender.

5. Philadelphia Eagles (7-3, 5) – This writer won’t torpedo the Eagles until QB Koy Detmer does. The defense is as good as advertised, and could sneak Philly into the playoffs.

The Bottom of the Barrel

28. Dallas Cowboys (3-7, NR) – This team scores fewer points a game than ANYONE in football.

29. Carolina Panthers (3-7, 28) – Carolina should get used to the NFC South basement. They’ll be there for a few years.

30. Chicago Bears (2-8, 30) – Da Bears are a struggling, aging team.

31. Cincinnati Bengals (1-9, 31) – The Bungles need to change their goal line offense. Running off-tackle right with RB Corey Dillon has been stopped 3 times now with the game on the line.

32. Houston Texans (2-8, 32) – QB David Carr is taking his lumps and showing flashes of brilliance.