Kurt and Jeff’s Pigskin Picks: NFL Picks

New England Patriots at Oakland Raiders (Sunday, 8 p.m., ESPN) – This game is a rematch of last year’s thrilling AFC Divisional Playoff game, played last year in the snow in Foxboro, MA. That game was marked by the controversial non-fumble call for the Patriots, and K. Adam Vinatieri’s game-winning field goal into a driving blizzard. Expect a wide-open game in this one, as this game is pivotal for both teams’ playoff hopes. Watch the Patriots to see if they continue their pass-happy offensive trends. If the Patriots cannot control the clock, the Raiders should be able to wear them down. Prediction: Raiders 37, Patriots 31.

Buffalo Bills at Kansas City Chiefs (Sunday, 1 p.m., CBS) – This is another huge game, in terms of the AFC playoff picture. The Bills are currently in a three-way tie atop the AFC East, while the Chiefs have fallen below .500, but remain in striking distance in the AFC West. This should be another display of offensive fireworks, as both teams average scoring and allowing close to 30 points a game. The Bills are coming off a bye, but the latest trend in this season is teams losing after the bye week. The Chiefs’ defense is finally stepping up, and should be able to handle the Bills offense. Prediction: Chiefs 31, Bills 24.

San Francisco 49ers at San Diego Chargers (Sunday, 4:05 p.m., FOX) – This important game will not be shown locally on FOX, so you’ll find me at a sports bar for this one. The Niners topped Oakland and Kansas City in the past two weeks, and now face the fading Chargers. San Diego is trying to avoid last year’s collapse, where they started the season 5-2 before losing nine straight. The Chargers should come out determined to prevent another free-fall, but unless they put this game away early, Niners QB Jeff Garcia will find a way to win. Prediction: Niners 27, Chargers 23.

Power Poll
The Cream of the Crop

1. Green Bay Packers (8-1, 1) – The Pack is clicking on all cylinders. QB Brett Favre’s numbers so far: 2,244 yards passing, 65% completion percentage, 17 TDs, and only 3 INTs. Can anyone say MVP?

2. San Francisco 49ers (7-2, NR) – The Niners’ defense has come around, and their play last week against the Chiefs saved the day for San Francisco.

3. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7-2, 4) – The Bucs cannot look past this week’s game with the struggling Carolina Panthers to next week’s tilt with the Packers.

4. New Orleans Saints (7-2, NR) – These aren’t your father’s “‘Aint’s.” The Saints have assembled a quality team around a solid defense and offensive stars QB Aaron Brooks and RB Deuce McAllister.

5. Philadelphia Eagles (6-3, 2) – The Eagles were embarrassed at home by the Indianapolis Colts. The faltering Arizona Cardinals should be cannon fodder for a fired-up Eagles team.

The Bottom of the Barrel

28. Carolina Panthers (3-6, NR) – Remember when Carolina was 3-0 and in first place in the NFC South?

29. Minnesota Vikings (2-7, 30) – The Vikes may be coming out of their funk. They’ve actually been close the last few games.

30. Chicago Bears (2-7, NR) – Da Bears haven’t been able to win the close games they won last year. That translates into a seven game losing streak.

31. Cincinnati Bengals (1-8, 31) – The Bungles continue to stumble, and are now 0-8 against non-expansion teams.

32. Houston Texans (2-7, 32) – No one expected much more than this from the Texans. Wait ’til next year.