Quakers To Strive For Winning Season

Superb. Magnificent. Outstanding. Inspired. The women’s basketball team was all these things while dancing in the second round of the NCAA Division III tournament last year.Although the team is quite young, they expect no less this year.

The team lost five players from the squad that won two straight ODAC Championships. Erin Beacham and Amy Evans each graduated. In addition, the team lost Kelly Burger and Dara Burke due to health concerns. And ODAC Rookie of the Year Courtney Hill departed for UNCG.

“This year’s team has a whole different look to it,” said Coach Barb Bausch. “We have no seniors, so there is no one who is in the ‘now or never’ spot. There are only 12 players, which can make things difficult at times.”

Of those 12, five are first-year players who are expected to make quality contributions. Jennifer King, a 5’8″ guard who scored over 1,000 points during her high school career and was named to the 2002 News and Record All Area team as well as the Winston Salem Journal’s 2002 All-Northwest Team is one of those expected to make an immediate contribution.

“Hopefully, we’ll win another ODAC championship,” King said. “I hope to pick up where the seniors left off.”

Lindsay Devers, a 5’8″ forward who has been sidelined due to injury, is similarly optimistic about the upcoming season, regardless of her limited time on the court.

“So far, the season is going really well … We are a very young team, which in turn, requires a lot of patience,” Devers said. “However, I believe that we will succeed.”

Brittany Bennett, a first-year 5’6″ guard from Alexandria,VA, is also expected to make an immediate contribution to the team. “It’s overwhelming and extremely difficult, but really great,” she said. “Everyone is willing to help each other because there is so much to be done to play at the level Barb wants.”

The team will kick off the 2002-2003 season in Wilmington, Ohio and will have its first local game on Dec. 2 versus Greensboro College at the Greensboro Coliseum. The first chance to cheer on the Quakers at home will be Dec. 4 against Hollins University.

“We’re working hard to get ready for the season, and we can’t wait to see everyone out there supporting us,” Bausch said. “The spirit that students and the entire Guilford Community bring to the game is something that really keeps us going.”

Veteran players, despite their lack of company, are confident the season will be a success. “We’re ready, and will come out strong like we finished last year,” said junior forward/center Jennie Keichline. “.We have a solid group from last year that’ll bring us through. And the freshmen will help out a lot. We have experience, and good things could happen.”