Woo! Formal Time

That’s right ladies and gentlemen, it’s back and it’s better than ever. Grab your date and make sure you are ready to strut your stuff as this year’s Annual Formal is just around the cornerThis year’s formal is sponsored by Student Union, and not the Student Residence Council (SRC). The change of leadership was made because in the past, SRC’s budget was significantly drained by the formal, and Union has more resources. It was simply based on economics.

As usual, a cash bar will be available for those who are of age.

However, this year, all students going to the formal are required to use the transportation provided by Guilford, which will consist of a large chartered bus. “This will be the only way to get to the formal, and was a decision made by Campus Life, and not Union,” said Union President Kate Doom.

ID’s will be checked prior to boarding the bus, and students will receive a wristband that will indicate their age. If students arrive at the formal without a wristband, they will be sent back to campus.

Anne Lundquist, Dean for Campus Life, had a fairly clear explanation for the change in policy “There are a lot of liability issues that come with having an off-campus event that involves alcohol. We aren’t a bar or restaurant and therefore can’t monitor it. Our goal is to provide a safe environment for students. It’s a compromise situation,” said Lundquist

Union treasurer Abdul Qawiy Abdul-Karim, a junior, said, “irregardless of the bus system, the point of the night is still the same: to get dressed up, dance with friends, get off campus and let loose on a night that was designed especially for your enjoyment. It’s a blast every year and this year it’s going to be even better.”

Ivan Mihalov, also a junior, has a similar impression of the new transportation. “I can drink and not worry about doing something stupid” he said.

The formal will be held on Saturday, Nov. 9, from 9 p.m. – 1a.m., at the Radisson Hotel near I-40. Tickets for the formal are seven dollars and are on sale during lunches and at the information desk in Founders.