The Laramie Project Incites Sadness and Fear

“I could not believe the power that homophobia has over some people,” said first-year Sarah Everette. “I couldn’t believe that someone would actually kill a person because of fear and hate. I cried for hours after the movie.”The Laramie Project, an evocative docudrama, shocked Guilford with its disturbing portrayal of the murder of Matthew Shepard. This year the Peer-Mentoring course required students to watch the movie; afterwards optional discussion groups took place for students to reflect.

“It is new this year that required events are being incorporated in the mentoring groups,” said Director of First-Year Services Shelley Crisp. A presentations a student gave last yeasr, as well as requests from professors, inspired the idea to show The Laramie Project.

“I was first exposed to the film last March, and it was at that time that I, along with several others, thought it might be important to show to the entering class,” said Jason Terry, student coordinator of the GLBTQA Resource Center.

Reactions of students ranged from vehement emotions – anger towards prejudice – to confusion about why hate crimes occur. Several groups discussed the amount of homophobia and racism prevalent at Guilford today.

“I sat in two discussion groups and was disappointed to hear that the climate in Guilford still includes homophobia,” said Crisp.

The discussion groups were an eye-opener for those who consider Guilford to be an accepting place. “For the most part, I think that the people here try to respect others and remain open to new ways of viewing the world,” first-year Dana Di Maio said. “Nevertheless, Guilford is not free from hatred and ignorance. I think the best way to address the issue of respect is to talk about it, to bring our discomfort out in the open in a receptive, productive manner.”

The movie was shown as a way to prevent the hate that caused Shepard’s death. Students appear to be responding positively and have been openly discussing ways to change. “I think that this film has had a positive effect on the Guilford community,” Everette said. “Hopefully it will cause people to take a closer look at what they’re saying the next time they say [for example] ‘that’s so gay.’ I also hope that it will cause people to stop and think before they decide to write homophobic remarks on campus property.”

First-year Cat Jacques said, “I think the most important part of the movie was meant to teach acceptance of all people as human beings, worthy of respect, regardless of lifestyle choices.”