Campus Conservatives Looking to Form Club:

Getting tired of only hearing one voice on campus? Guilford is now officially the host of the “other side.” “If it’s always greener on the other side of the fence, how do you know it’s greener if you can’t see it?” said Ben Rothenberg, a sophomore who is involved in the Guilford College Conservative Club.

After getting sick of only hearing one side of politics, several Guilford students have started the Guilford College Conservative Club (GCCC). The club aims to offer students a balance to the political spectrum on a largely liberal campus. The main focus of the club will be national and Guilford-based issues, and they hope to promote an atmosphere where any viewpoint can be discussed.

The club is expecting a regular membership of around 20 to 30 students and is trying to get funding from Student Senate.

They are currently working on trying to pass their constitution through Senate after it was initially rejected. Brian Person has been elected as the club president, with Ben Massey as vice president, Chris Dun as treasurer, and Matt Cowan as the secretary.

Jodi Gill, the Assistant Dean of Campus Life for Student Conduct, became the advisor for the club after a large group of people showed up in the Milner lounge for a GCCC meeting. “It shouldn’t be about political ideologies. This is about the First Amendment,” says Gill.

Gill is a proponent of free speech and is glad that the club offers a place for opinions not traditionally endorsed by Guilford students.

Some people on campus may be a little concerned about the start of this new club, as there was already some controversy brewing over chalk writings on Sept 11 when chalk writings promoting peace were altered. Under one chalking demanding “Don’t Judge,” someone added “Just Nuke Them All.”

The GCCC would like the campus to know that they are not responsible for the offensive writings. Some members did write several quotes in yellow chalk, such as “Only the dead have seen the end of war,” from Plato. Person commented that the derogatory chalk writers were “children that did not know how to articulate themselves.”

The GCCC is concerned that they will be stereotyped or that some will think they are trying to change the political scene on campus. “Don’t fear us; we are not here to intimidate,” said Person.