His Splitter Has Earned Him a Place in the Minors; His Determination Will Get Him Into the Majors

()
()

On July 17, former Quakers pitcher Joe Dooley signed a one-year, renewable contract with the Gateway Grizzlies (Sauget, IL) of the Frontier League. “Playing for the Grizzlies was more than I expected. I had heard some horror stories about how hard life is in the minors, but they treated us real well out there,” Dooley said. “We played in a new stadium that was nearly sold out every night and the fans were great.”

In 14 appearances for the Grizzlies, Dooley went 1-0 with a 4.66 ERA.

During the off season, Dooley will attend various Major League team camps in hopes of signing with them. He has already trained with the Padres.

When asked where he would ultimately like to play, the 6’2″, 215-pound right-hander said, “I am just a fan of baseball, and any team that gives me a chance to play I will be grateful to.”

Prior to signing with the Grizzlies, Dooley had an impressive career with the Quakers.

Serving as team captain during his senior year, Dooley finished his college career in May, leading NCAA Division III with 12 wins in 2002. Dooley was Guilford’s first All-American baseball player since 1968.

Dooley ranks first at Guilford with a 10.19 strikeouts per nine innings ratio, and second for his 118 strikeouts in a single season.

“He is all baseball,” Guilford’s baseball head coach Gene Baker said. “He always wanted the ball, no matter how tough the situation.”

Dooley sees himself in the big leagues five years from now.

He said “It’s going to be a lot of hard work, but hopefully it will pay off in the long run.”

And if he doesn’t make it big?

“I will still have a business degree from a great college to fall back on…I hope to one day own my own business with or without baseball as my primary career.”

Dooley’s Quaker teammates have confidence in him.

Senior third baseman Andrew Duffy said, “I have no doubt that Joe will thrive as a dominant pitcher. To succeed at the next level there has to be something that separates you from the other pitchers. As Joe has picked up a devastating splitter, I have no doubt that he will thrive as a dominant pitcher.”

“Joe has the intangibles necessary to succeed at a very high level,” senior first baseman Luke Kempton said. “He has good command of four pitches: the fast ball, curve ball, change, and split finger.”

There is no question that Dooley will be a success on or off the field.

“Regardless of how good his fast ball, how sharp his curve, or how intimidating his demeanor, he is always searching for a way to increase his advantage over hitters,”

Guilford baseball head coach Gene Baker said, “It is this lack of satisfaction that makes the most successful people just that.”