One Year Later

()
()

It’s hard to find something that speaks to the grief I feel today,” said senior Kristy Garman, “but I was really moved by the choir’s song.”The piece, “We Remember Them,” was written in remembrance of Holocaust victims but also suited the afternoon’s combined Convocation and Day of Remembrance held on Wednesday Sept. 11 in Dana Auditorium.

Garman’s experience gives testimony to the subject of this year’s keynote speech given by Stuart Malina, conductor of the Greensboro Symphony Orchestra. His address, “Music in a Time of Crisis,” spoke of the role of music in the wake of last September’s tragedy and throughout history.

Malina acknowledged the emotional toll that comes from dealing with tragedy.

“At a certain point numbness sets in,” he said. “Hearing music can break through that numbness so that healing can begin.”

Malina sprinkled his speech with musical interludes of recordings and live performances. He included music from the World War II era to Bob Dylan to a piece that had brought him comfort earlier that day when he turned away from the replay of crashing planes on his TV screen.

Several Guilford College community speakers preceded Malina. President Kent Chabotar, Associate Academic Dean Jim Hood, Senate President Naz Urooj and Associate Professor of Music Tim Lindeman all shared reflections on Sept. 11 and visions for the upcoming year and future in general.

From these speakers, the message to make the most of the present was a common note that ran especially clear on this day of all days.

A collaboration of innovative ideas from the Convocation Board and Senate created this opportunity to come together and support each other.

“We have never had anything to bring students together like that,” said Urooj. “Looking out there and seeing everyone come together – it feels good.”

Editor’s Note: Dana Auditorium did not host the only commemorative event on Sept. 11. Members of the student body, faculty and staff attended a 3:00 p.m. worship in the Moon Room and a candle light vigil proceeded from Founders at 8:00 p.m. The Early College Program also held a remembrance ceremony in Bryan Junior Auditorium at 8:45 a.m. Further coverage on these and related events can be found in the next Guilfordian issue.