Okay, so Greensboro isn’t known for its thrilling nightlife, but not every piece of the Gate City’s sidewalk rolls up at nine. There are quite a few restaurants in town that stay open arou

Denny’s
3900 S. Holden Road

The longest trek from campus, but possibly the best food. Buffalo Chicken Strips…what more needs to be said? Sadly, their “late night menu” limits dining options just a tad. Note: service and seating can be slow at this location – from Guilford it’s not much farther to drive to their Kernersville restaurant, which is more efficient and nicer in general.

Your House
2306 Battleground Avenue

The sketchy look of Your House scares some people off, but the menu and prices are similar to Jan’s. On weekends it takes the prize for interesting people- spotting. I’d go with a simple burger and fries.

Waffle House
4302 Big Tree Way, 3204 High Point Road, 2505 Randleman Road, and on Battleground Avenue by Wal-Mart

Not the classiest of the establishments, granted, but the food is cheap and fairly consistent. There’s usually a Waffle House close by, as well. The melts (patty, chicken, and steak) are not to be missed!

Steak n’ Shake
4409 Wendover Avenue and 2647 Lawndale Drive

The food isn’t the best, and the service can be downright terrible. But there’s usually an interesting crowd circulating. Steak n’ Shake also boasts a drive through window. Cheese fries are very choice, and the milkshakes are quite yummy.

Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
2401 Battleground Avenue and 3704 High Point Road

Their glazed donuts are heaven-sent sweetness. When the red neon “hot light” is on outside, they’re…well, hot. The Battleground location seems to be the safest bet for hot donuts at late hours. Drive through or dine in.

Herbie’s Place
3136 Battleground Avenue

Cheap, tasty eats and quick service. An excellent cup of coffee, as well. Herbie’s is often (unfairly) overlooked in favor of Greensboro’s other inexpensive diners, so give it a shot some sleepless night.

IHOP
Only 24-hour location is 1101 Lanada Road (Wendover area)

Perhaps the priciest of the lot, especially with the 15% surcharge added after 10 p.m. The food is superb, however, and comes in massive quantities – the omelets are a fine example. Like Denny’s, there’s a scaled down “late night” menu. IHOP is perhaps the best option for vegetarians. BIG booths for studying are a nice perk.

Jan’s House
3932 W. Market Street

Midnight trips to Jan’s are a long-standing Guilford tradition. It’s close by, beautifully inexpensive, and there’s not a bad item on the menu. Special bulletin: throughout September, Guilford students get beverages free of charge…just remember your smartcard!

Jake’s Diner

4220 Wendover Avenue and 2700 High Point Road

A glitzier, similarly priced alternative to Jan’s, Jake’s has a following all its own. The onion rings are highly recommended. It also boasts the most well rounded jukebox of the bunch! Think about Jake’s if you have a big crowd of friends for the plentiful large tables. Like Steak n’ Shake, Jake’s also has an all-night drive through window.