Much Praise for Much Ado About Nothing

()
()

The priest rolled up his sleeves and threw up his fists. His traditional black robe did not seem to get in the way as he danced back and forth, jabbing the air with vehemence. The audience loved it. Kevin Brewers’ heartwarming performance as Reverend Antonio Francis was one of many successful portrayals made by the cast of William Shakespeare’s Much Ado About Nothing at the High Point Theatre on Friday, Aug. 30. People of every age group came to watch this classic play which possesses the perfect mix of humor and drama. Only half of the maroon seats were filled, but that did not discourage the actors.

The red velvet curtains open to the village of Messina where the story unfolds. We are introduced to Leonato, a wealthy old gentleman, and his beautiful daughter Hero, who reside in a palace in the countryside. The Prince of Aragon returns from the military to visit the palace with a few of his men. One of the cavalrymen, Count Claudio, played by Kevin Bergen, instantly falls in love with the fair Hero. Shakespeare creates the perfect twists and turns so that both the love struck characters and the audience anticipate the fate of the tale with apprehension.

Although the plot depends largely upon the characters Claudio and Hero, the audience is more drawn to the antics of Benedict and Beatrice. Unlike Claudio and Hero these two characters have sworn never to fall in love, especially to one another. They use their quick humor to jab at one another’s egos at every opportunity that presents itself.

The chemistry between the actors is intense. Each furrowed brow, hand gesture, and stage movement is carried out with a realistic passion. In fact, the chemistry is contagious; the audience even assisted the character Dogberry, a hilariously incompetent constable, in announcing that he was an “ass!”

Although the dialogue follows Shakespeare line for line, the director’s interpretation is found elsewhere. The set is simple but beautiful: a Monet-style painted backdrop and floor, and a few vases of flowers. The props are simple, assumably to prevent any distraction from the real purpose of the play – the actors and the messages that they are trying to convey. But the costumes! The ladies wear brightly colored ball gowns and the men are dressed in tuxedoes complete with top hats and canes. This is very different from the traditional interpretation of white and brown clothes with simple cuts.

The non-traditional approach takes a little adjustment, but as the actors delivered their lines it was all too easy to fall in love with them and all unease was forgotten. The High Point Theater is definitely the place to go if you are looking for a night of entertainment. Performances of Much Ado About Nothing will take place each weekend this month and on Friday, Oct. 4.