Guilford Honors Loss of Alum, Good Friend Hayden Tatman

()
()

A silent pall was cast over the Moon Room in Dana Auditorium on Aug. 28 as friends paid their last respects to Hayden Tatman, ’00.Tatman, a philosophy graduate of Guilford, died suddenly in his home of Westport, Massachusetts, on Aug. 20 due to a rare viral heart condition called acute fulminate viral myocarditis. He was 23.

Max Carter, the Director of Campus Ministries, presided over the 45-minute service. In the midst of this dark moment in the lives of Tatman’s friends there stood refreshing memories of what he had meant to them.

Nancy Daukas, one of Tatman’s former professors, characterized him as the type of person who could walk into a room and change the mood of a class just by his presence.

Friend Nick Popio recalled Tatman’s ability to “dance in an awful, but graceful manner.” Former girlfriend Kassie Fox said he “did what he wanted…Hayden was getting good at being Hayden.”

However, the most common memory of Tatman was his ability to interject into class discussions when least expected. Classmate and friend, Greg Ray ’01, said that, “you’d think Hayden wasn’t paying attention, but he was.” Carter remembers Tatman as being able to kick-in with the strangest and funniest insights into any class discussion after remaining quiet for most of the class.

Friends also recognized Tatman’s softer side. Former classmate Terry Hammond held back tears as she described Hayden as “warm, and accepting, and friendly.”

Carter referred to Tatman as an “honest” and “unique” student who served as a “delightful member of QLSP” (Quaker Leadership Scholars’ Program).

Tatman is survived by his parents Deana and Blair and his brother Cooper. A memorial service is planning to be held in honor of him as Westport Friends Meeting on Oct. 19. His service will be one of remembrance and celebration of a life well lived.