United States and Canada playing Russian roulette

The United States abandoned the Kyoto Protocol on global warming last year, bringing international criticism. This month Canada is considering following the same path. Canada has been struggling with the idea of ratifying the Kyoto Protocol for months; as of now, Canada’s position is unclear. The Kyoto protocol asks energy-rich Canada for major political and economic concessions, which could lead Canada in the same footsteps the United States took last year toward abandoning the treaty.

The challenges put forth in the Kyoto Protocol ask Canada to cut emissions of greenhouse gases known to speed up global warming by 6% from 1990 levels by 2010. In actuality, Canada’s emissions grew by 20% from 1990 to 2000, according to CNN.

Another issue that hinders Canada from making a clear decision is that Canada is the largest supplier of energy to the United States. Last year Canada exported $35 billion worth of gas and oil to the U.S.; if Kyoto is ratified, Canada can expect the loss of money and thousands of jobs.

David Anderson, Canadian Environment Minister, wants to negotiate a change in Kyoto in order to give Canada credit for clean energy exports to the U.S. The common response from EU delegates was that the idea was non-negotiable.

In fact, this is not the first change Canada has looked for in Kyoto. Last year, Canada persuaded Kyoto partners to give credit for carbon dioxide that is absorbed by Canadian forests. This permitted Canada to increase its emissions by 5% in 2010 from its 1990 levels.

Guilford teacher and environmental activist David Barnhill said, “it is terribly irresponsible to people now and people of future generations,” in response to the U.S. rejection of the Kyoto Protocol, and now Canada’s possible agreement.

He found the whole situation “very unfortunate” and also said “the most productive things countries can do is team up for the environment, but not against the United States … the best way to bring the U.S. in (Kyoto protocol) is if other countries show their morality and practicality, and make a model for future generations.”

Many people agree with Barnhill and see the issue of global warming as an enormous threat. However, some also don’t think global warming is an immediate concern. Barnhill sees the situation as irresponsibility on the part of our government. “Bush is playing Russian roulette with the future of the world,” he said.