Senior Art Thesis displays brilliance

The Gallery upstairs in founders has been transformed into a fantastic exhibit. Whimsical pottery, natural elements, and fine woodworking give the Gallery a wonderful ambiance. Guilford College’s Senior Art Thesis Exhibition is on display until May 11. The artists include Nicole Porter Willcox, Josh Lynch, and Philip Haralam.In her artist’s statement, Nicole Porter Willcox explains how her childhood was “nourished by the graceful alterations of the earth.” Her work reflects this statement, as her pieces incorporate natural elements like wood, stones, sawdust, and sand. Her main media is ceramics, and the titles of her pieces echo her artist’s statement. Steam of Consciousness, Rhythm in Flame, Blown Away and Illusive Breakwater are just a few of the names of her unusual pieces.

Josh Lynch explains the rules of pottery in his Artist’s Statement. For example Pottery Rule #4080 says, “Pottery is cool; and by cool, I mean totally sweet.” Lynch displays an exceptional composition of work. There is a twisting earthy pattern to his pieces which include saki sets, a vase, a mug set, and a lidded jar, to name a few. Lynch is able to combine practicality, beauty, and simplicity in his body of work.

Jason Blauch works with wood and clay; the product is smooth, glossy, delicate pieces of furniture. In his artist’s statement, Blauch says “The properties of clay and wood demand that they be used in making functional objects – they are ideal media for this purpose.” Indeed the mixture of tiles, and colorful wood make for rare, and striking pieces of furniture.

Philip Haralam has created a colorful, bold ceramic collection. His various work includes rice boxes, platters, pitchers, mugs, and a cookie jar. Haralam says, “I have developed an unusual aesthetic that successfully voices my artistic and creative vision.” The earthy shapes incorporate shiny and matte finishes and the brilliant colors make the pieces vibrant and eye-catching.

The Senior Art Thesis is on display for another 10 days and is well worth visiting.