Brian Schuh: a retrospective

Senior Brian Schuh, grew up on an Indiana horse farm with his parents and older brother. He went to high school in Tallahassee, FL. Schuh rode horses as a child and feels very fortunate to have grown up in that environment. He said, “working with large animals teaches you a lot of patience and what not.”The week before he left on a tour of the big name colleges in North Carolina, Schuh received a Guilford brochure in the mail. He will never forget one of the pictures in it – two girls with their hair dyed bright colors.

He finally convinced the tour group to stop at Guilford. They only stayed for a brief time. “I walked up the front path to Founders and back and I knew right then that this was where I wanted to go to college,” said Schuh.

An economics major and management concentration, Schuh participated in the London study abroad last semester. He chose London because of the internship opportunity. He also wanted to be around the accent.

This summer he will work at a camp for disabled kids in California. Schuh hopes that it will lead to an entry level writing or production assistant position in California or out west.

He feels that there are two forces pulling him in different directions after graduation – getting a job and doing something that he enjoys. He says that “it is important for me and other grads to be conscious of what we would like to do and where we would like to end up one day.”

Schuh has two pieces of advice for students who are continuing at Guilford. “It sounds trite but you never really appreciate what you have until it’s gone.” Also, “If I could do it all over again I would have explored countless more interests than I did.” “There are so many unique and interesting people here, make sure that you tap into that as much as possible,” he said.

Brian’s favorite things to do at Guilford are: watch people on the track out his window, watch people walk by on campus, travel as much as possible (weekends and breaks), listen to his roommate’s music, and write for the Guilfordian.

Of writing for the Guilfordian, he said, “it was a good experience and gave me a chance to learn about life in general.