With end in sight, McNemar reflects on past six years

President Don McNemar credits successes during his time here, like the $50 million fund-raising campaign, to hard work. (Justin Betson)

A man raised on a hard-work ethic, Don McNemar has done a lot for Guilford College. With his presidential career nearing its end, he has a lot to reflect on.From raising $50 million in a fund-raising campaign, to building the Frank Family Science Center, to vastly increasing the use of technology in campus operations and student learning, McNemar’s work ethic has helped him make several contributions to Guilford life.

“It feels good to be able to pass on the torch to the eighth president knowing that I have made some real progress for the school,” McNemar said.

McNemar prides himself on increasing enrollment by 20 percent during the time he was here.

“Guilford College is well on its way to enrolling 1600 students,” he said.

Despite his achievements, few know what has shaped the working habits he has today.

“I really just had the luck to be born into a Quaker family,” he explained. “They were very supportive and encouraging and expected me to do my very best.”

McNemar said he was taught the value of hard work at a young age.

“When I was in college, I had many professors who believed in me, and constantly pushed my limits,” he said. “They helped me decide to become a teacher and a scholar.”

Addressing the suddenness of his resignation, McNemar explained that his presidency was only meant to last six years in the first place.

“I originally came here to raise money for the school, and to lead a series of projects to make life more enjoyable for the students,” he said. “Now that I’ve fulfilled my main objectives here, it is time for someone else to lead the college in a new direction.”

McNemar voiced some regret about not being able to get to know as many individual students as he would have liked, but also felt he had no choice.

“Unfortunately, in a job such as mine, one has to prioritize what is important. I had to focus most of my energies on campaigning and doing other work which left me little time for anything else.”

McNemar offered few specific details on exactly what he thought were the new directions the school would take, and how the change would affect students, but seemed confident Guilford would continue to serve its students attentively and effectively.

“No one knows what the future may hold,” McNemar said. “However, Guilford will continue to maintain its high standards for good teaching, and for being a caring community.