Natia Rostomashvili: actual Guilford optimist

()
()

You may not know her, but you’ve seen her. In class, working, or just striding across campus in her trademark red and black ensemble. Natia Rostomashvili is a difficult person not to notice, simply because she is almost everywhere.Natia, a rising senior, is one of Guilford community’s most active, and productive members. A double major in business management and art, she also works 40 hours per week in the cafeteria and the security “bubble” in Bauman. On weekends she works as a nanny for her host parents.

In addition, Natia was a member of both Senate and Union her sophomore year. She has participated in International Club activities and Bowling Club. Despite her stressful schedule, Natia always manages to smile and make time for her friends.

Natia hails from the city of Tbilisi in the Republic of Georgia. She first came to the United States in 1996 to attend Monticello High School outside St. Paul, Minnesota. “There was no real culture shock,” she mused, “but I resisted American culture at first, since I originally planned to return to Georgia. Finally I realized that I could establish my own identity here, as sort of a ‘cosmopolitan citizen.’ “

Senior Ryan Sloan speaks highly of Natia’s involvement at Guilford. “She chose not to differentiate herself as a foreign student but integrate herself as a part of the community,” Sloan said, “which is one of the main things I respect her for.”

After graduation Natia returned to Georgia for one year to study international law at Tbilisi State University. She also worked for a travel agency in Tblisi and wrote a column, “Teenager,” for a weekly newspaper.

Natia returned to the United States in 2000 – this time to Greensboro. Her host parents in Minnesota had recommended Guilford, and also connected her with Duncan and Phyllis Russell, Natia’s current host family.

“Natia is an amazing person,” Phyllis Russell enthused. “I could never have led her life as a student! She balances so many balls, makes so many sacrifices. And she never lets you down.”

Being the daughter of a theatrical set designer made art crucial in Natia’s childhood, leading to her decision to study art at Guilford. “I loved to draw as a child,” Natia said. “I used to illustrate the books that I read. Art has always been just a natural part of life for me; my dad inspired me there.”

Her business degree, however, will have more influence on Natia’s career. “I hope to work for a global company,” she said, “that will help me make business contacts and connect me with Georgia so that I can return there from time to time.”

Natia’s “Guilford experience” has been affirming, but she is discouraged by the outlook of many other students. “There are so many unappreciated opportunities here, in the U.S. and at Guilford itself,” she said. “If people could stop being negative and consider them, they’d realize what a wonderful place this is.