Business/Production Positions

The following positions are available to interested individuals. Unless otherwise noted, inquiries should be directed to Editor-in-Chief elect James Tatum (X3954), [email protected] Editor/Production Manager: Manage production end of the newspaper while working closely with the Editor-in-Chief to coordinate efforts and initiatives. Oversee weekly production meeting between layout, advertising, and calendar/psa departments including agenda development and clerking duties. Work with Editor-in-Chief to develop strategies and procedures to help streamline the production schedule (i.e. make it run smoother). Other tasks would depend upon the applicants interests, and could include but are not excluded to working with the promotional staff to develop opportunities for the paper to promote itself in the community; working with the Advertising Manager and development staff to plan fundraisers and coordinate revenue-enhancing strategies; or working with the Calendar editor to develop strategies for helping campus clubs and organizations to publicize their events.

Development Director: Responsible for overseeing the long-term developmental health of the Guilfordian. This is the ideal position for creative, self-motivated individuals looking to design and implement their own projects. Possible tasks could include but are not limited to negotiating with the student mailroom to resume distribution of the paper in student mailboxes; working with other organizations on campus to co-sponsor activities, fashion stronger relationships between the organizations, and assist with promotions of co-sponsored events in the Guilfordian; organization and promotion of Guilfordian-sponsored community forums on important issues facing the college. Development Director would also work closely with the Advertising Manager to develop long-term revenue-enhancing strategies for the paper.

Advertising Manager: Vigorously solicit advertising from campus and surrounding area businesses and organizations. Oversee classifieds section, and coordinate sales strategy and execution with sales representatives. Receive solicitation for advertising by way of faxes, e-mail, voice mail, and “snail” mail. Check all regularly and respond in a timely manner. Communicate with layout editor to maintain awareness of necessary space taken for ads. Record income received from advertising. Possibly develop and implement other revenue enhancing strategies. Attend weekly production and post-production meetings. Paid by commission.

Business Manager: Responsible for processing and handling ad payments, bills, requisitions and correspondence. Keeps records of the aforementioned activities. Shall work with the Editor-in-Chief and the Editor-in-Chief elect for the 2003-2004 year to develop and submit a yearly budget and year’s end accounting forms to the Community Senate. Attends weekly production meeting.

Calendar Editor: May double as an associate editor if interested. The calendar editor serves as the contact person for clubs, departments, and organizations looking to get their activities listed in the paper. Oversees the weekly Community Calendar for the print edition of the paper, and coordinates the on-line version with the web editor. Attends weekly production meeting and maintains regular communication with advertising and layout departments.

Sales Representatives: Assist advertising director with solicitation of ads, development and implementation of revenue-enhancing strategies. Sales reps are eligible for a commission based on total revenue collection and their involvement in the ad solicitation process.

Accounting: Assist Business Manager, Editor-in-Chief with overseeing financial documents, budgeting, tracking overall financial status of the organization.

Circulation Director: Oversee distribution of the paper on campus, mail subscriptions.