Five CDs you can’t live without

()
()

I want to talk to you, the reader, about something I love. No it’s not video games and no its not mirrors in unusual places; I want to talk about music. Specifically, I am talking about good albums that have not been talked about for a long time or just not talked about at all. Good albums never die; people just stop talking about them. A good album is always a good album. The following is my personal list of five albums that are worth being in any record collection.1. Ben Folds Five – Whatever and Ever Amen

The break-up of Ben Folds Five has always been one of the biggest disappointments for me as a listener of music. Every album they put out was better than the last and they had developed their own distinct style. Regardless of the reasons behind the group’s breakup, this album remains the gem of all their releases. We all know of the success of the song “Brick,” but the musical highlights of the album are the tracks “Steven’s Last Night in Town” and “Missing the War.” Both songs show the bands wonderful musicianship, not to mention the emotions expressed throughout the album.

2. Sublime – Stand By Your Van

Perhaps one of the most tragic rock and roll deaths in recent memory, the death of lead singer Bradley Nowell effectively ended Sublime. In their short existence, Sublime was innovative in the combination of rock, punk, hip-hop, and reggae music. Stand By Your Van is a live album and it shows the energy and the skill of the band. The playing is free flowing, spontaneous, and cohesive all at the same time. Sublime wanted to have fun and it was reflected in their albums and live performances. It is a real shame it had to end so soon.

3. Nas – Illmatic

Many great hip-hop albums came out in the 90s such as Dr. Dre’s “The Chronic,” Wu Tang Clan’s “36 Chambers,” Snoop Dogg’s “Doggystyle,” and The Roots’ “Things Fall Apart.” Often overlooked as a great record, Illmatic is on the level of all of the ones mentioned and holds up against almost all of the great hip-hop releases. This album is one of the roughest, most honest, and technically impressive gangsta rap albums in a long time. Nas shows that he is one of the most skilled lyricists out there. Unfortunately, the albums that followed Illmatic have failed to convey any real emotion, and it is possible that Nas put everything into this one and only album. But what an album it was.

4. Dispatch – Gut the Van

This record just came out a few months ago; however, this is one that has not left my CD player for three weeks. This is another live album and musically it can be described best as a cross between acoustic and electric rock with touches of rap thrown in. Musically, Dispatch is all over the map and it is shown all over this album. My favorite songs on this album are “Silent Steeples” and “The General.” Dispatch is the kind of band where you need to listen to the music carefully because if you do, you see more than a bunch of guys having fun, but also a group of very passionate and talented musicians.

5. Smashing Pumpkins -Siamese Dream

Released in 1993, Siamese Dream was one of those albums that set the tone for years to come. Nirvana and Pearl Jam had effectively killed 80’s hair metal with “grunge” music and now the Smashing Pumpkins set the tone for alternative music in the 90’s. Siamese Dream was one of those rare albums that was near perfect and was released to the public when it was looking for something different. Lead singer and guitarist Billy Corgan makes you feel emotions with every lyric and every guitar cord. Emotion carry’s this album and eventually pushes it into one of greatest rock albums ever.

Quick list of albums to avoid:
Any Now That’s What I Call Music CD
Metallica – Reload
Daft Punk – Discovery
Any post-1985 Grateful Dead Album
Any Kiss Album
Any record by Mick Jagger not made with the Rolling Stones
Any CD with a title longer than this sentence.