To beer or not to beer?

(Justin Betson)
(Justin Betson)

Fake ID’s are a staple at colleges across the country and Guilford is no different. But a warning to all you under-age boozehounds: The North Carolina state legislature has changed fake ID laws.It did this because it fears that those under-age people who purchase alcohol with fake I.D.’s regularly partake in binge drinking.

The new laws state that it is a criminal offense to knowingly possess or manufacture fake ID’s.

The previous laws were not as strict and not as forthcoming. They were hardly enforced and readily abused.

If caught with a fake ID, an individual can receive a fine of up to $1,000 and 100 hours of community service.

Sophomore Chip Hill said, “since there is no way I could come up with a grand, having a fake seems to be more dangerous than it is beneficial.”

Another catch to this new law is that the DMV is in the works to establish an electronic system for distributors to verify birth dates and licenses instantly and on the spot.

Underage drinking can be a major problem as 95 percent of violent crimes and 90 percent of sexual assaults on college campuses are alcohol-related.

Many people, however, are skeptical about the success of the new laws, the argument being that people are going to drink no matter what legal obstacles they must hurdle.

Sophomore Sean Scuddder said, “I don’t think this is going to stop under-age drinking. It is just going to make kids take an extra effort to obtain alcohol, like finding a real 21-year-old to buy for you. It’s a good idea, but I think drinking will continue.”

The most important factor is the people who own the stores that sell alcohol. Without their enforcement, this law will be useless.

Sophomore Josh Miller said, “I think this law would be more effective if they targeted high school students instead of college students: there is more to risk with them.”