‘Our Time in History’ campaign meets $50m goals

In the major campaign to raise $50 million to serve a variety of the school’s needs, Guilford College achieved its goal a full year early of the projected date.College administrators formally announced on Fri., Jan. 25, to the Board of Trustees that they have raised a sum of $50,147,689 since the “Our Time in History” campaign was publicly launched in September of 1999. Donors include alumni, national endowment foundations and local philanthropists.

President Don McNemar was obviously thrilled with the news, but cautioned that the campaign is “not done yet.”

The college still needs additional finances to renovate Founders Hall and build a new athletic/fitness/wellness center near the current athletic facilities.

Both projects were stated goals of the campaign when it was launched, but their success now relies on the appropriation of $3 million more for Founders, and $5 million more for the athletic center. The debt is due in part to the construction of the $14 million Frank Family Science Center, which went $4 million over budget.

“[The building of] a new athletic center will be dependent on exceeding [the current campaign total],” said Ty Buckner, director of college relations. “So now we want to finish the job.”

The “Our Time in History” campaign comes to an official close on the last day of 2002.