Guilford’s International Film Festival

“Bringing the world to Guilford, at least in pieces.”That’s how Dottie Borei, head of the international center, describes her efforts regarding the International Film Festival, an annual event which this year involves International Studies, both the German and Latino/Hispanic clubs, the Multicultural Committee, and Women’s Studies.

“We’re trying to get people aware of the world, and part of that is through this film festival,” Borei said. The four-year-old event features six films (a treat this year, since most years she only manages four) from across the world.

The first of the series, an Iranian film titled The Legend of a Sigh played in the Leak room Monday, Jan. 28. Twenty-three attended: some students of Borei, a few older visitors, and one Guilfordian reporter.

The second, Grandfather, faired better. Sixty people nearly filled the Leak Room to see the Spanish film, only about ten of them non-students. Borei has an idea why this is.

“One way to bring in people is to make it a requirement for a class,” she said. The Spanish teachers were surely in on it.

“I had to go for a class,” first-year Liz Nemitz said, “but I still enjoyed it.”

First-year Molly Lowe had her beat. “I came because I love Spanish and I like foreign films. It had a great message about the imperfection and nitty gritty of life,” Lowe said.

The next in the series, The Warrior and the Princess, will play Monday, Feb. 4. Dave Limburg and the German Club are sponsoring the film, having merged their own German film evening with the Festival three years ago. It’s the latest from the director of Run, Lola, Run, and Franka Potente stars again, though minus her trademark Firehair.

Limburg began the club’s film evening in 1996 and dedicated it to a late student, Leon Bullock, who loved German culture.

“Herb Poole [former library director] helped us get it together to honor him,” Limburg said.

The first film shown was a documentary on the films of Leni Riefenstahl, now in Hege Library donated in Bullock’s name. Having the two events together is a happy marriage, considering The Warrior might end up the best attended of the series.

Borei admits that not every film in the series will have such pop appeal, and she put the Iranian film first for a reason. Its lower film quality, age, and simple storytelling can’t match The Warrior’s techno-thriller style. The soap opera feel, with basic camera angles, semi-stale acting, and frequent close ups, differs from Western production standards.

But that’s no excuse to censor these films from yourself. The message of Legend, however unflashy, gives you a chance Hollywood never would.

“It’s a fantastic way to learn about general life in other cultures. How else could a student in Greensboro have a feeling for the place of a woman in the Middle East? Learn from these films. You can’t go to Iran, but here’s a bit of it,” Borei said.

Americans also tend to be subtitle-phobic, which is pure hogwash; if you’re too lazy to watch and read for two hours, then I hope I never hear you complain that “there’s never anything to do around here.”

The film playing Wed., Feb. 13, Flame, another examination of feminist struggles, offers extra incentive to go. Although it’s from Zimbabwe, it’s in English.

Following that is Afterlife, a non-farcical Japanese take on a theme you may recognize from Brain Candy: living for eternity in the state of life’s favorite memory.

The final film, the French When the Cat’s Away, seems to me to be in the same line with the profound giddiness of Amelie, a big hit with Guilford girls.

Judging by the boost in attendance from the first film to the second, things may be picking up steam as word gets around about the importance and enjoyability of these films. And if it’s only because more Guilford students study Spanish than Farsi, those who go have still all learned something.

“We’d love to fill up the Leak Room,” Borei said. All films are shown in the Leak Room of Duke Hall at 7:30 pm.