Bush visits Winston-Salem

On Wednesday at 1:35 p.m. President George W. Bush arrived in Greensboro, NC at the Piedmont Triad International Airport. After de-boarding the plane and meeting local dignitaries, Bush and Sen. Jesse Helms (who flew with the President) got into the waiting limo and traveled to Winston-Salem. Bush then met with police officers, firefighters, and emergency medical teams at Winston-Salem’s Center for Community Safety where he held a round table discussion. After praising local “first responders” for their efforts in preparing a defense strategy, Bush’s motorcade headed to the Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum where the president gave a rousing speech to standing group of 7000.

The President revisited some of the same territory from his State of the Union address the previous night, making sure to stress his commitment in fighting terrorism. Later, Bush appealed to the crowd to do their part for America by volunteering.

“If people want to fight terror, do something kind for a neighbor,” he said. “I hope and ask that you serve your community you live in and your nation by two years of service.”

Bush urged everyone to get involved, especially if they possessed skills that would be valuable in a crisis, and gave a toll-free number: 1-877-USA-CORPS.

The phone number was designed to aid in Bush’s $560 million proposal for a USA Freedom Corps to help Americans who want to volunteer in the anti-terror effort.

“Stand up to evil with acts of goodness and kindness,” Bush said. “We will show the world that universal values must be respected. History has called us to action, and action we will take.”

Bush departed Greensboro’s Piedmont Triad International Airport shortly after 5 p.m. for a town hall meeting in Daytona Beach, Florida.