Not Bored Games

Jason Wynn deep in thought  ()
Jason Wynn deep in thought ()

I had locked eyes with my opponent. There was weakness there, there had to be, and I was going to exploit it. Yes it was a harsh thought, but this was a harsh game. It was 7:30 p.m. on a Wednesday, in Founder’s lobby. I was at Guilford’s own Chess/Scrabble Club. And I didn’t like the way my opponent was eyeing my king.Dan Freeman, president of the club, which until recent was merely the Scrabble Club, is happy with chess’s newfound popularity. “Zack Hample [club founder and previous president] really was the heart of the Scrabble interest. Personally, I think chess is a better game.” Freeman added, “I’m no good at Scrabble.”

Not that you have to be a chess whiz or Scrabble master to play. The club supports all levels of playing. Or, as club regular Katy Wurster said, “There is bound to be someone here up to your level of incompetence.”

Freeman has done well providing for such levels. The chess pieces are large and heavy for plastic. The chessboards are flexible mats, resembling large mouse pads. While the club is limited to “official” Scrabble boards and pieces there are enough to accommodate an army of Scrabble players. To make sure that these chess and scrabble warriors make it through their legendary battles, there is candy in abundance.

”I think I’ve already blown the club’s budget for the year on candy,” said Freeman, though he promises that it won’t stop him for providing fuel for long-running meetings.

The appeal of the Chess/Scrabble Club seems unlikely in this age of online multiplayer virtual extravaganzas. But, as Jason Wynn, another club regular, said, the appeal of these games is that “it relaxes you and builds your mind.”

Club Secretary Eben Dennis did not deny that the social aspect of this club might outweigh its intellectual rigor. “I come mainly for the candy,” he said, before turning back to his opponent and saying, “If it looks like I have a strategy, I don’t.”

A good time was had by all that Wednesday night. Though my adversary, Xizhen Wong, ended up beating me, I’m looking forward to next Wednesday.
Vengeance will be mine!