Hurray for online registration

I’d like to send out a big hip hip hooray for whoever it was that braved the college bureaucracy to bring Guilford students online registration. Man oh man, do I like my banner web. I’ve never considered myself to be a tech-head. For that matter, I would say I’m closer to technologically inept than inclined. However, as your typical college Jane, I am still able to find a great deal of value in this relatively new registration method.

If you have been going to Guilford for any amount of time, you will probably remember the old (primitive) way of registering. At the time it did not seem like much of a hassle; in fact, it seemed to be part of the natural order of things.

In the old days, they gave you and a hunk of your classmates a period of time to register, and you hauled your butt over to register at the appropriate time. You registered, you bitched about the classes you really needed and didn’t get, then you hauled your butt back home.

Really not much has changed in that sequence of events. You are still allotted a time, you still register, and you still don’t get the classes you need. However, there are two important differences. First of all, you don’t have to haul anything anywhere – except to your desktop – and it is completely impersonal.

Don’t get me wrong; I am a social being. However, I don’t consider standing in line at the registrar to be valuable interpersonal time. Nor do I think taking registration frustration out on the lovely people who work there to be particularly productive.

Thank you, tech age, for helping to make the life of even the most technologically inept a whole lot easier. And thank you, Guilford College, for hopping on the cyber bandwagon.