A new ticket to ride

Home for the holidays is where most students want to be. In the comfort of family, with that familiar bed and that familiar smell, home is where the heart is. But what about those students who are afraid to fly, don’t have a car, and live far away? In most cases they are stuck between a rock and a hard place. The Guilford College Ride Board provides an opportunity to get out of that place.

The idea for the board came from senior Samara Richter, who felt like an alternative was needed. It is located on Lotus Notes in the database section. The process is simple: just create a new topic and wait for people to respond.

There are already some requests on the board: Dave Foley would like a ride to Atlanta for Thanksgiving and Christmas. Ashley Rose needs to go to Fairfax, VA, and asks anyone going north if they could drop her off. Kristyn Casey is asking for a ride to Florida. Amelia Kellogg takes a different spin, asking for a ride to Nashville for a weekend and offering to split gas.

“The requests sound legitimate,” said sophomore Matt Baker. “ I would hook them up.”

The web page has been up since Nov. 4, and as of Nov. 9 there were five requests. Shelly Crisp, Director of the First Year program, sent out an e-mail informing students of the new development.

“ This is something that will really help students out. I personally have trouble getting to Savannah; maybe this will make that less problematic,” said sophomore Nathan Finley.

No one likes to travel alone. If nothing else, the ride board will alleviate the problem of riding alone, and maybe it will help you meet a friend.