A broad view of study abroad

There has been much discussion recently about the future of some of the study abroad programs. These are some of the conditions that are bringing the future of the programs into question, but it should be kept in mind that Guilford continues to strongly support the programs, and the Study Abroad administrators and Committee annually evaluate each program and regularly reconsider what more they should be doing.

In the 21st century, more students have traveled abroad before arriving at Guilford than students had in the past, which seems to make them interested in studying independently and at many different locations. Some departments, including the sciences and business management, feel the need for programs that more closely tie into their students’ major fields of study. It has been the case in the past that the programs provided liberal arts courses and not science and business ones, unless a faculty member from one of those departments took a group of students.

Recently, with lower enrollments at Guilford, fewer people are attending some of the programs, which results in a higher cost per student. Hopefully, increasing enrollments will result in restoration of the usual numbers studying abroad.

The issue of terrorist attacks recently has resulted in concerns about travel and may have a short-term negative effect on students’ interest in studying abroad. However, Catherine Lemaire Lozier said, “I’m not worried about my safety abroad but if it looks like Europe is not a safe place to be as the time gets closer, then I’m not going to go at that time.”

Additionally, for assorted reasons, there has been less faculty interest recently for leading programs in which knowledge of the native language was necessary. There has been difficulty finding faculty leaders for Munich and Guadalajara.

Guilford has run semester-long study abroad programs for 24 years. The first program was the London semester program that began in 1977. The Munich program followed closely behind, beginning in the fall of 1978.

The programs and available locations have increased since then, to now include Guilford-sponsored programs in East Asia, Africa, and Latin America, programs with affiliate schools, and programs that are run by the Council for International Educational Exchange. Traditionally, 30 – 40% of the graduating main campus seniors will have studied abroad. Students report that studying abroad is one of the most important experiences during their college careers.

“The goal of study abroad is to provide abroad opportunities for students in all types of majors,” according to Martha Cooley, Director of Study Abroad.

Students have always been able to go abroad with Guilford or on selected other programs. Currently, Guilford has programs of its own in Brunnenburg, Ghana, Guadalajara, London, and Munich. There are two exchange programs in Japan, consortium programs in China and France, and affiliated programs in Spain, France, Oxford, England, and the Netherlands.

“Our expectation is that we will find ways for all Guilford College students who wish to, to study abroad,” said Cooley. “In many cases this will require not only appropriate programs abroad but efforts by various departments to help their students find ways to continue their major off campus as well as on.”

For students interested in studying abroad, there is a brochure available in the Study Abroad office, in Worth House II.