Dealing with devastation

Shock, disbelief, fear, guilt, grief, confusion, shame, loss, anger— do these emotions hit close to home? Terrorism is meant in part to cause psychological harm, and the recent terrorist attacks on America are no exception. Guilford students and people around the world are feeling the enormity of these attacks.

The feelings of shock that follow a tramatic event can quickly be replaced by feelings of anger and grief. These emotions can be consuming. They can manifest themselves in different areas of your life and affect the people around you. Here are some ways in which to help you to cope with these emotions.

úTalk with family, friends, or a grief counselor

úAttend memorials, ceremonies, or other commemorative or memory activities (these events offer an outlet to express emotion and find closure)

úDevelop a “positive” outlook/ focus on what can be done to help rather than harm

úVolunteer your time or resources to the recovery process

úFind an acceptable outlet, such as exercise, a hobby, or artistic expression

úBecome informed/Learn the facts

úTurn off the TV or Radio/ avoid repetitive intake of the news and devastation

úAvoid negative ways of dealing, such as drugs and alcohol

Remember that this is a time for us to pull together and watch out for one another. Anger is a natural reaction to these recent events, but it is important not to vent it in inappropriate or destructive ways.

If you have strong negative emotions that won’t go away, or if you have existing mental health problems, you may want to seek professional help.

The following are web site and phone numbers you can call for support, volunteer opportunities, or information pertaining to the recent terrorist attacks:

National Mental Health Association: www.nmha.org 800-969-6642

Red Cross: www.redcross.org

Greensboro Mental Health Center: 373-3630

Guilford College Counseling Center: ext. 2184/2143