My Fear

Perhaps the only thing I have in common with mainstream America right now is fear. I am afraid. Unfortunately, my fear differs drastically from that felt by the majority of Americans. It’s not the next “terrorist attack” that I fear.

Rather, I am afraid that what’s going to happen in near future is the exact opposite of what ought to happen. Recent events call for a very close and penetrating look into the system of inequality and domination that breeds death and destruction, but I now fear that won’t happen.

I am afraid that unless we take away the conditions that cause such actions, we’ll never be able to stop them from happening. We may be able to “hunt down and punish those responsible” as G.W. Bush would have it, but I’m afraid that will do nothing to stop new terrorists from being created.

I am also afraid for all Arab people, both in the U.S. and abroad. May they be strong in the face of racist and angry cries for revenge and retribution. My prayers are with them.

I am afraid for the people of Afghanistan. As I’m writing this article, Pakistan is saying that it will launch “massive U.S.-led military actions” if Afghanistan does not “hand over” Osama bin Ladin, the current prime suspect. He, by the way, adamantly denies any involvement in the attacks.

I am afraid for my friend Stefan, who joined the Navy Reserves just two months ago. I haven’t heard from him yet.

I am afraid that there will be a repeat of what happened after the 1998 embassy bombings in Kenya, multiplied by a factor of one hundred. For those who don’t know, America got her sweet revenge in that instance by bombing a civilian pharmaceutical factory in Sudan, claiming that they were producing chemical weapons.

I am afraid for the future of the anti-corporate globalization movement, which I see as being vital for our survival as a species. Just two weeks ago, momentum had been building for perhaps the largest demonstration in the history of the movement. Now almost all of the key groups previously organizing to fight global injustice have backed down from their plans.

I am afraid of the media. In previous times of war, our national media have dropped all pretense of objectivity and have become a willing tool for government propaganda and even disinformation.

I’m afraid that it won’t be long before the Gulf-War era “I’m-proud-to-be-an-American-where-at-least-I-know-I’m-free” battle hymn is being sung along to by legions of school children, just as I sang it when I was in the fifth grade.

Most of all, I am afraid that by the time this is printed, most of my fears will have already come true. Hopefully, courage will follow.