Pride Chairperson discusses Goals for Guilford Queer Community

For Ashley Coleman, Class of ‘02, little is more important than helping other people on campus to be mindful of the importance of respecting queer people.Coleman is a member of Guilford Pride, having served as its chairperson since January of 2001. Every Monday night at nine she leads its meetings at the Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual/Transgendered Student Resource Center in Dana Auditorium. Pride discusses topics of concern to Guilford’s queer students, such as next week’s subject, “Being Out on Campus and Closeted at Home.”

“I’m always for educating and helping people,” Coleman said.
This statement doubles for her as a personal philosophy and as a goal for the year. Pride’s main purpose is to provide a place for queer students to come and socialize, be themselves, and not have to worry about judgment. It is open to anyone who is gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgendered, queer, questioning, an ally or a friend.

The group also serves any student looking for information, or anyone who wants to discuss his or her viewpoints or feelings, “as long as the person is respectful and open,” Coleman said.

Two new members of Pride commented on their expectations coming into the new year. “I hope that we can continue to provide a place for GLBT/Queer students to express themselves in many divergent ways, and provide a service to the rest of the Guilford community by educating others about queer issues,” said Jason Terry, Class of ‘05.
Luis Padilla, also a member of the Class of ‘05, added “I’m very glad to be in Guilford because I know it is a place where I can be free and safe. I will have all the support I need for my college career.”
Pride’s schedule for the year, besides its weekly meetings on Monday nights at nine, includes an upcoming picnic, party, and Gay Pride Parade. On Sept. 23, it will host an afternoon campus gathering, including food and games, such as capture-the-flag. On the 29th the group will attend the North Carolina Pride Parade in Durham, followed that evening by a party in Raleigh. Pride’s annual Coming Out Ball will be Oct. 12.

“Everything is intended for all students,” Coleman stated. “All of our events are always open and welcome to everyone.”
Another priority for this year’s agenda is continuing Pride’s relationship with UNC-Greensboro. The two schools’ GLBT groups work closely together several times during the year, and Coleman plans to keep it that way. The group also wishes to work with other area colleges as well.
Guilford Pride needs to be involved in the greater Greensboro GLBT community, Coleman emphasized. “We don’t live in a bubble. Community outreach is important.”

Besides working to establish communication with area colleges, effecting change as a major player for queer people in Greensboro, and pushing for more visibility on campus, Coleman sums up what Pride should essentially be.

“I want it to be a safe place. I want it to be a fun place. I want it to be an educational place where we learn about ourselves and other people.”