Serendipity bands

So it’s Thursday/Friday/Saturday/Sunday of Serendipity weekend and you’re thoroughly intoxicated with… school spirit. Yet there’s something missing… something tangible, some element of a good time that you can’t quite put your finger on… Oh yeah music!

When you come to this realization at some point in Serendipity’s four-day span, you need not worry about searching for long, as there are ample opportunities to satisfy your need for rock ‘n’roll and the egomaniacal rush of hormones that accompanies it.

The rock “n” roll starts early on Thursday night, when the three student bands who won the Serendipity Showcase, Little Brother and The Spoiled Siblings, Cousin Jimmy, and Waiting for January, will begin playing at 6:00 p.m. outside of Dana auditorium.

In case you’ve actually been working on weekends, or through some other odd turn of events, have managed to miss any of the above mentioned bands, I’ll attempt to fill you in.

Little Brother (aka Tim Lafollette) has managed to turn an album’s worth of inside jokes and twisted witticisms into a pop-punk stage act that is as affecting as it is totally f***ed.

Cousin Jimmy provides a pure rock ‘n’ roll feel, using the dual guitar approach to create funky music full of hearts, guts, and genitalia.

Waiting for January brings the moody sound to Thursday night with tendencies that run from sing-along covers of early alternative to originals full of dynamics and sticky hooks.

Friday afternoon at 5:30 p.m., student Garren Rogers and his band Clutch Hound will bring his own hard-edged metal to the Evergrunge event on Founder’s patio.

If live music just isn’t your thing, canned beats will provided by a DJ at the Bryan Quad Dance starting at 10:00 p.m.

The main musical events, though, are reserved till Saturday, when national acts 2 Skinny Jays and Rustic Overtones do what they get paid for on the football field.

Rustic Overtones will take the stage at 2:30 in the afternoon to move the masses with their own brand of funky, jazz-tinged, horn-laden rock and roll. This group’s sound is as eclectic as the list of collaborators on its last album, This Is Rock and Roll, on which they had the contributions of David Bowie, hip-hop great Funk Master Flex, and operatic soprano Martha Bernard.

2 Skinny Jays take the stage at 8:00 p.m. to bring Guilford their post-Beastie Boys self-referential hiphop-rock hybrid. Expect Star Wars references.

Also on Saturday night, at 10:00 p.m., after the main events, you can make your way to the party at the apartments, also sporting a live DJ, for more music of the danceable variety.

On Sunday “morning,” after having torn apart your room in search of ibuprofen, aspirin, or something stronger to kill the rodents gnawing at the inside of your skull, if you still need something to smooth out the rough edges, One Love, in their great wisdom, will bring you live reggae, the ultimate hangover cure. If you wake up in time, you can catch some moving music from 3:00-5:00 in the afternoon, to help you ignore the toxin flush going on in your system.

Don’t forget to keep your ears open for other opportunities to catch Guilford acts playing house parties and apartmentfests throughout the weekend.