Guilfordian to sponsor community wide FedEx forum

()
()

Within only a few years, there may be heavy airplane traffic in the dead of night while Guilford students try to sleep. Also note, on the other hand, that Greensboro could begin to grow into a thriving metropolis of sorts, where students never lack weekend activity.The installation of a FedEx hub at the Piedmont Triad International Airport could create either, both, or none of these scenarios, but the subject remains of critical magnitude to residents of Greensboro, especially those in the airport’s immediate surrounding area.
The Guilfordian has chosen to sponsor, host and moderate a public forum where it hopes “to present an open dialogue of the disagreement so that people can be more familiar with the issues involved and the sides represented,” as James Tatum, a Guilfordian editor explained.
The forum will be held on Thursday, March 22, at 7:30 p.m., across the street at the New Garden Friends Meeting.

There has been staunch opposition to the proposed hub from residents andcommunity groups in the area, but the Greensboro Chamber of Commerce has unflinchingly supported it. For the first time, the two sides will meet to debate the issue.

Local businessman and Summerfield resident Mark Warren, who is also the executive director of the Alliance for Legal Action, will give a presentation against construction of the hub. He will be joined by Gil Happel, a captain with a major airline, who has lived in Greensboro and flown out of the PTIA for 30 years.

“We just want to present the reasons as to why a nighttime air cargo hub is not suitable for Guilford County, and why it is not a good idea economically and environmentally,” said Warren.
Proponents of the issue will be represented by members of the Chamber of Commerce to be named later.

Dr. Harrison Turner, the chair of the task force Get the Facts — Bring the FedEx Hub to Guilford County, said, “I am concerned about the job losses in the textile, tobacco, and apparel industries. Last year, 7,000 such jobs were lost. I am impressed by the economic impact a FedEx hub could have on our area.”
Staff members of The Guilfordian will moderate the forum. The format will allow each side up to 20 minutes to present their arguments, followed by 10 minutes each for rebuttal. Audience members will then have the opportunity to ask the presenters questions, a major segment of the forum that will run for at least half an hour.

Alison Goss, editor-in-chief of The Guilfordian, emphasized that the forum will be moderated without bias. She said, “I am very excited about the opportunity for The Guilfordian to provide a medium for exchange of information and views on the hub’s effects on Guilford College and the greater Greensboro community.”

The forum is open free of charge to any interested persons, but capacity is limited to approximately 300, so if you are interested in attending, The Guilfordian suggests you arrive early to secure a seat. Doors will open at 7 p.m. The New Garden Friends Meeting is located across the street from Guilford College on New Garden Road.