Page ticket wins

()
()

Guilford senior Rainie Rainaldi believes “The Page ticket has more experience and is more capable of getting the job done.”The rest of the student body, or at least 65 percent of students who voted in Tuesdays election, agrees with her. In Tuesday’s election, the Page ticket collected 255 of 390 cast votes to capture the 2001 Guilford College Community Senate election. The second and only other ticket running for Senate was the Holden ticket, which collected 135 votes.

The Page ticket consists of Megan Page, who will be the Senate president. Along with Page is Chris Babcock, vice-president, Tamara Asad, secretary, Steve Harrison, business manager, and Jill Burchell, treasurer.

Megan Page expressed her excitement about the results; her entire ticket is excited about “making changes on campus.”

One issue that the Page platform featured was the idea of possibly changing the Senate meeting times. As it stands now, due to conflicts in scheduling, many athletes are unable to attend Senate because of their athletic obligations.

Several students also expressed more familiarity with the people on the Page ticket, as opposed to having little or no knowledge about the candidates on the Holden ticket. Despite the loss, Josh Holden wishes the Page ticket the best of luck. “I wish them well. I hope that their momentum continues and they can live up to previous unmet expectations of the Senate.”

On the Union side of the election, the Leaf ticket ran unopposed and had a total of 333 votes. Eric Leaf, who won the job of president, said his main goal for the upcoming year is to re-involve students in the activities that take place on campus.

“We still plan to take this job very seriously,” Leaf said, regarding how people might feel about them since they ran unopposed. He points to the fact that they still campaigned for votes and made every effort possible to make the student body aware of his Union ticket.

The Leaf ticket is Eric Leaf, president, Nathan Finley, vice-president, Amy Sullivan-Bashinsky, secretary, and Dan Thigpen, treasurer.

With a computer being used for the voting this year, it gave students an easier way to vote and saved the election committee the time of having to manually count the votes. Still, statistically speaking, students seemed less than enthralled with the idea of voting. Of the 942 students who were eligible to vote, only 42 percent voted.

With the election now history, the Senate and Union can move ahead with the business at hand. This election has cleared the canvas of Guilford politics as new leaders move into their respective positions.