Guilford and its bubble

When I was a first-year, a student told me that no one ever goes off campus. When I asked why, the student hesitantly replied that she did not know. A year and a half later, as I was strolling along the beautiful campus of Guilford, I came to a realization: there must be a life outside of Guilford!Guilford College offers students a wide variety of entertainment. It offers movie night, clubs, and recreational games in almost every dorm room. Perhaps this excess of activity is why I did not realize that I was living in Greensboro.

Have you ever noticed, walking through Binford parking lot, that all the cars are in the exact same position you saw them a year ago? What are we doing staying on campus, when college may be the only time in our lives that we won’t be constricted by convention?

This tendency for no one to venture into the wilderness of Greensboro is accurately termed the famous “Guilford Bubble.” As far as I know, this tradition of the Guilford Bubble has been around forever.

Ok, you may see Greensboro as being a rather boring city with little to do besides eat at Sonic or Boston Market (If you are upper-class), but I promise you the outside world is more exciting than Guilford. There are events in Greensboro worth your while occurring right outside of Guilford College.

The student who creates a balance between campus life and off-campus life is the happiest of all. This is my goal for all students and this is why I am writing this article. Once again, I want to remind you that the college years are the last years of our unfettered lives. I mean before we are burdened with work and families, we should have fun, be social, and, most importantly, EXPLORE!

Here are a couple of things happening in the next month in grand ol’ Greensboro. First, did you know that there is an African American Arts Festival going on now through March 17? In addition, there are showings of animated films made by North Carolinians happening now until March 21.

Also, the Greensboro Generals ice hockey team will be playing the Toledo Storms the twentieth of this month. If this does not entice you to leave campus, maybe this will: The play, “Five Women wearing the same Dress” is being performed Feb. 16 – 25. This theatre group will celebrate the woman’s spirit through humor.
And finally, the ultimate; there will be motorcycle racing at the Greensboro Coliseum, Feb. 23 – 25.

If you would like to find out anything else, you can go to www.greensboronc.org/, where you will find lots of useful information on what is happening in Greensboro.
Try going off campus; you will be surprised!