Oil spill threatens the Galapagos

Giant Turtle threatened by oil spill ()
Giant Turtle threatened by oil spill ()

The Galapagos Islands. One tanker. Over 5,000 rare species of plants and animals. 240,000 gallons of fuel. One big mess.On Jan. 20, a major pipe burst in the tanker’s engine room, triggering a massive oil spill in the waters surrounding the Galapagos Islands. According to ship captain Taquino Arevalo, the burst resulted from an attempt to enter a port called Shipwreck Bay which was too shallow. As a result, the tanker spilled nearly all of its 243,000 gallons of diesel fuel into the Southern Pacific Ocean, which encircles the Galapagos Islands.

If he is found criminally liable, Arevalo and his crew face up to five years in jail for endangering the environment. Investigators contend that the crew was neither adept nor prepared for traveling near such a delicate ecosystem. In particular, the investigators allege that the tanker, “Jessica,” was only a temporary substitute for the ship that normally sailed the route, which was being repaired.

Guilford Freshman Cameron Wilkin commented, “It’s an outrage that such a place with rare species could be put into danger so easily. They should make government laws about not letting oil tankers near those sacred islands.”

Of the many rare animals living in the Galapagos, initial reports indicate only a few birds and sea lions have been harmed by the spill. So far conservationalists volunteering their time have helped almost all of the affected animals. Many of the Galapagos’s extremely rare animals, such as the Giant Tortoise and Ocean Iguanas have not felt the initial effects of the spill because they primarily live on the west side of the island while the damage was on the south side.

Still, Dr. Errol Zeiger, a scientist with the Environmental Protection Agency in Raleigh explained, “It could have been a disaster of global proportions because there are so many animals that are unique to the area… perhaps an oil free zone should be expanded.”

In support of a balance, sophomore Cindy Liu commented, “I was angered about the oil spill. However, at the same time we have to recognize the economic burdens of regulation and the potential effects it will have on the poor segments of society. There should be a balance between economics and environment. There is always another side to the story.”

The environment has always been a concern for people of all social backgrounds. The economy and livelihood of people and countries, for example, influence the extent of environmental safeguards. The Galapagos Islands are a special case, however, because they are where Charles Darwin studied and developed his evolution theory.

Most of the fuel that the tanker spilled has floated away from the Galapagos because of ocean currents. The tanker is expected to sink in the middle of the ocean sometime during the next few days, for it is unlikely that so massive a ship can be pulled from the ocean.
But environmentalists should not be complacent.

As junior Maria Oppel said, “It is unfortunate that environmental tragedies occur everyday, and yet only the most visually disturbing seem to get attention.”

Many ecologists expect the Galapagos Islands to fully recover in three to four years.