Martin Luther King Day:

Constance Slaughter-Harvey  ()
Constance Slaughter-Harvey ()

“This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism…. I still have a dream…”–Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. On January 15th, the Guilford College Community observed Martin Luther King Jr. Day through visual and performance art, panels, discussions, films, and public talks.

The day was one of remembrance and celebration of the life and legacy of King as well as a time to reflect on the existing issues of racism and injustice in this country.

The heart of the celebration was the candle- light vigil, at which keynote speaker Constance Slaughter-Harvey’s sentiments echoed that of the King quote above. Her speech synthesized the events of past and present in order to pose the challenging question: “Are we better off?”

Constance Slaughter-Harvey currently works as the assistant attorney general of the state of Mississippi. She was the first African-American female to graduate from the University of Mississippi, on January 27, 1970.

Addressing contemporary issues such as tokenism and disenfranchisement of African-American voters with an assertive honesty, Slaughter-Harvey deeply affected her listeners.

“Listening to her, you knew the things she spoke of were really true because she has so much experience as a groundbreaking professional,” said sophomore Crystal Waitekus.

Slaughter-Harvey stated that she always made a point of speaking with young people on this holiday and was particularly impressed with the openness and integrity that she had witnessed in this community. She also commended those who were involved in the planning for giving King “the best birthday party I have ever seen.”

“Sometimes we talk so much about what we’re doing wrong,” said Santes Beatty, director of African American Affairs, “It was refreshing to hear positive feedback from the outside.”

The evening also consisted of performances by the local gospel group Integrity, the Guilford College Gospel Choir, and Mount Zion Dance Ministry’s Robin Campbell. Excerpts from various King speeches boomed through the auditorium while the audience viewed a slide presentation organized by junior John Carter. The vigil concluded with singing in unison of “We Shall Overcome,” the lighting of candles, and a procession to the Walnut Room, where a reception was held.

“That was the best part,” said sophomore Desiree Wilkinson, secretary of AACS.“Walking across campus with everyone’s candles lit was so beautiful. I really can’t even put it into words.”

Beatty noted that events throughout the day were better attended than in previous years, possibly due to the simplified organization which did not force people to choose between simultaneous events.

The Civil Rights Activist panel, organized by Professor of History and Intercultural Studies Adrienne Israel,was the most widely attended of the day’s events. Discussion surrounding this panel lasted for two hours. Those in attendance would have been happy to go on longer, according to Beatty.

Janet Cochran, director of the Native American program, organized a student panel to discuss contemporary struggles of Native Americans. Project Community organized another popular panel, which discussed what it means to truly provide service, acknowledging all the contradictions that come with volunteering.

Students and faculty also viewed Amazing Grace, a film documenting King and the movement, followed by a discussion examining the progress that has been made and the work that still remains to be done.

Lucas Vrbsky organized a performance by Sons of Faith, a gospel group from McLeansville Prison that has been providing musical ministry throughout Greensboro for several years.

On the following Saturday, the Spiritual Renaissance singers performed in honor of the memory of Ed Lowe, Dana Professor of Music.

“It was appropriate that we remembered Ed through the medium that he used to reach so many people,” said Beatty. “And it wasn’t a coincidence that we remembered him on the same day that we remember King, whose vision also included the unison of many voices.”

Related events throughout the week were a photography exhibit by junior Neil Vittum, entitled ‘Challenging Boundries,’ performances by Carolina Roots (Many Voices of Praise), and a fireside chat with Kansiime Kariisa, a student from the Ivory Coast who shared information on her culture.