‘Bauman Saves’

In response to Ginny’s commentary on the Hege Library I would like to defend that old bastion for late night work, Bauman.
I cannot stand writing papers in the labs, but the time I have spent on the second floor goes well beyond a healthy relationship with one building.
Like Ginny I feel compelled to vent my power trip. After four years of kissing ass we believe we deserve respect from somebody, well we don’t, but that’s not the point. Senior’s believe we have some god given right to tell everybody else their business, and I write for the paper so I know that somebody somewhere will read this article or at least look at the headline as they use it to mop up spilled beer. To tell the truth of the matter, I’m just passing along some powerful advice, — the computer lab is a place of awesome mercy.
It is quite possible that I have spent more time there than in Duke, King, Founders, and Dana combined.
Why, you might ask, would you choose the sterile, funny smelling lab over the quiet (or not so quiet) comfort of those big cushy couches in the library?
Well: I can get all the snacks I want, when I’m actually getting something done nobody kicks me out or turns the lights off, I can’t pass out in the furniture because it makes your back and ass hurt, the lights are so damn bright that you cant do any napping, and there’s absolutely nothing to look at or distract you.
Obviously the positives outweigh the negatives. You are in the lab because, your room is a Mecca of procrastination, the library – well it stinks, and there are no other options.
I do not have ADD or any other circumstance that would allow me a bountiful supply of low grade speed, so I can rely on the good ‘ol discomfort of Bauman to keep me up while I crack out on coffee and papers.
So, I advise you young’uns to find yourself a room, and a seat with no view because otherwise you’ll end up crazy, like Ginny, because everybody talks in the library.
PS. If I catch anybody in my seat (in the notorious naked room) I’ll strangle you with my belt.