Despite low salaries, why do professors stick around?

They grade our last-minute typed papers, prepare countless PowerPoint slides and show up to class on time when we are too lazy to even attend. They either deal with our grouchy attitudes at 8:30 a.m. or our continuous yawns during a 6:00 p.m. class. This raises the question, “Why do professors choose to teach at Guilford?”

Even with the amount of time they put into their work, their paychecks hardly reflect it. Members of the budget committee put together a faculty compensation report comparing the salaries of Guilford professors with peer institutions and local neighbors that are comparable to Guilford in size, quality of students and extent of resources.

The average pay for assistant professors at Guilford is $50,000, while that for associate professors is $59,000.

Lynchburg College on the other hand offers a salary of $56,000 for assistant professors and $63,000 for associate professors. Elon University has a much higher pay scale with  $64,000 for assistant professors and $72,000 for associate professors.

“Most of the drop (in salaries) was due to enrollment drops and may erode further due to the loss of $2.5 million or 40 percent drop in state-funded financial aid which has made us divert funds away from other items including salary raises,” said President and Professor in Political Science Kent Chabotar

Nevertheless, despite all of this, professors still choose to work at Guilford.

“I didn’t think about the salary when I got into this profession, and I still don’t,” said Professor of Foreign Language David Limburg. “For me, there are other benefits like the tuition waiver for my son, sabbaticals, teaching abroad opportunities and the freedom to teach and contribute the way I choose.”

Between Guilford’s irreplaceable awkwardness, our very own farm and the friendliness that lingers around campus, it is clear as to why professors choose to stay despite a lower pay.

“I stay because of things that are dear to me such as the passion and dedication of my colleagues and the liveliness and originality here at Guilford,” said Visiting Assistant Professor of English Mylène Dressler.

Who would enjoy going to work with people they didn’t like?

Associate Professor of Accounting Garland Granger also finds joy in teaching and in watching his first-year students and CCE students mingle and learn from one another.

“Traditional students gain more of an understanding of the work place while CCE students are exposed to youthful enthusiasm which can be lost with age,” said Granger.

According to Professor of English Jim Hood, his colleagues are one of the many reasons he has stayed committed to Guilford.

“The people I work with are people that I cannot imagine ever getting tired of being with and talking to,” said Hood. “Coming to work here is fun because the people are just so spectacular.”

Guilford did not seem to be the ideal choice for Professor of Psychology Richard Zweigenhaft, but he, like many other professors, succumbed to Guilford’s unique and accepting atmosphere.

“I knew when I came that the salary I was being offered was low, but salary was less important to me than finding the right fit,” said Zweigenhaft. “I will say that if I was a young faculty member and thinking of raising a family on the salary Guilford now offers, it would be a harder decision to come here.”

Supporting a family on a below-average salary is something Assistant Professor of Justice and Policy Studies Sanjay Marwah struggles with.

Although he is motivated to stay at Guilford due to the many advantages of a small college and the ability to teach and integrate different disciplines in his classes, the below average pay is taking a toll.

“I don’t think the salary allows me to maintain and raise a family,” said Marwah. “My own family situation in terms of financing has been rough, but I understand Guilford has gone through financial troubles.”

Even though the salary for professors is below the average, they still put their hearts and souls into teaching and caring for students.